Saturday, January 2, 2010

Am I missing something here?

I've been blogging for almost 9 months now and as I've added to my list of blogs that I follow, I've noticed a common trend that almost all of them have. When referring to name brand objects/teams/etc, the writer either misspells the name or puts a period in the middle of the word. Such as G.a.p. or Weeee! or P.andora. I feel like an idiot asking but I really have no idea why they do that. Am I missing something here? Is there a reason why you can't just say you got a Coach bag for Christmas? Am I breaking some sort of copyright law by mentioning a brand name on my blog? I just want to be in the know, ya know? Please explain to the blog newbie what this all means!

4 comments:

  1. I've never done it, but I think it's so people don't find your blog over generic searched... I can tell people have hit my blog after they have simply searched for a song title I mentioned in one of my posts. At least that's what I've always assumed, but if you figure out something else, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I'd like to know too. Glad you brought it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn is right. It's to make sure your blog doesn't come up in a search engine when someone is Googling Walm.art or other brand names. Some people will do it with the names of their children, also, out of a respect of their privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that makes much more sense than what I thought it meant! Fortunately nobody has visited my site based on Googling brand names. However I did find someone found me by typing in "women with hairy arms". Gah.

    ReplyDelete