Sunday, January 24, 2010

Trying to Relax

Since I didn't have an ultrasound appointment for two days I decided to drive down to Georgia to visit my grandparents and mom. I haven't seen my mom in about two years. My back has still been killing me so I finally broke down and started taking Tylenol every 6 hours. I was just taking it once a day which only helped for a few hours before wearing off. I was afraid of taking it too much but I've just been so miserable that I couldn't stand it. I also put a heating pad on my lower back but now I'm regretting it. While I was lying (laying? lying?) in bed last night, I wondered if using a heating pad would fry my eggs. I googled it this morning and found absolutely NO information about using heat during stim week. Everything refers to post-retrieval or post-transfer. None of the other IVF girls at the Fisher House have this problem so maybe it's due to my weight or the fact that I'm out of shape. Or maybe it's just the number of follicles I have. So I'm asking all those who have gone through IVF: Did you ever get a backache during stim week and if so, could you use a heating pad?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Christa, I didn't get a backache, but I am confident a heating pad will do no harm at all before egg retrieval. Do make sure you drink plenty, I wonder if it's your kidneys a bit under stress. Much love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had a back ache, but other parts of my body did hurt. I noticed that I would compensate for the full ovary feeling and the pain by adjusting my posture. That could definitely be the reason for the pain especially if it is all over back pain. I think it is totally fine to use a heating pad. Once they put your embies back in however, I would stop using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if your overies lean back? I know with having a tilted uterus i get bad back aches with the stims i have had an achey right back/hip. Well we are in the airport waiting to fly away! have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heating pads are not only safe but good for the ovaries leading up to ER!! I read this after my first failed cycle.. before ER it's reccomended to keep you ovaries and lower back warm. I have a heating pad and applied to my ovaried every night after my shots and during the day at work I put a big pashmina around my waist to keep things warm. After ER it's also fine as the heat helps with the cramps that you might get. After ET.. it's a NO - NO, you don't want things to be overheat your embryos! Another good way of relieving stress and pain is warm baths.. these are fine up until ER(just don't use aromatherapy bath oils)! After ER and ET they are a BIG NO-NO!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got to see your family and I hope you had a good weekend. Good luck this week and call me if you need anything. Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was told that a warm water bottle was fine (not super hot) up until retrieval. After that, warm, moist towels should be used for a few days, then I could go back to the warm water bottle.

    After ER, there is a danger of bleeding and your body needs to recuperate after the anesthesia, which is why I was told to stay out of the sun and avoid too much heat.

    After ET, you need to keep your core temperature as normal as possible (which is also why they tell you to stay out of hot baths, saunas, etc). Warm water bottles (and heating pads set to medium) won't raise your core temperature.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Christa!

    First off, happy ICLW week!

    Second, thanks for coming by Busted Plumbing.

    Third, your blog rocks. Seriously. I love the title, love the design. I'm following, I'm in--all the way. I'm going to pretend we're already good friends.

    Good luck with this cycle!!

    ReplyDelete