Saturday, January 9, 2010

I love the Navy

As if our first IVF isn't going to be stressful enough, Brandon and I have no idea where we'll be living in 5 months. He is due to leave his command and go on shore duty at the end of May. This means NO deployments for three glorious years. As soon as Brandon returned from his deployment in November he began applying for a new billet. He only applied for one....Kings Bay, GA. Most of my family lives in Georgia, at the very least my whole family lives on the East Coast. Brandon's family is from Utah but he isn't really close to them and we've only visited them twice in the past three years we've been here. Besides, he has like 14 brothers and sisters scattered around the Midwest and I've only met 3 or 4 of them.

Anyway, back to my point. We waited and waited to see if he was selected for this billet in Kings Bay. After a month we discovered he was supposed to interview for the position! WTF. So now we're back at square one. Every month new billets become available. This month we have the choice between Bangor, WA (where we live now), Kings Bay, GA, Groton, CT (aka Rotten Groton), and Great Lakes, IL. He (meaning we) decided to apply for Bangor and Kings Bay. He still has to screen for both positions and I suppose it will be February before we find out where we'll be living. There are pros and cons to both duty stations so I really can't decide which one I would like more. Besides the totally crappy weather that we have to deal with in Washington and the fact that my family is 3000 miles way, it's really not that bad living here.

If he is NOT selected for any of the billets he applied for this month, he will be shoved into "Needs of the Navy" and could be sent anywhere the Navy needs him. That means another sea duty, maybe even a sea duty somewhere really crappy....like Guam. Let's just say I'm praying really hard that he gets accepted for one of the billets.

I'm not bitching about the military or saying that it sucks, I'm just saying that this is all a little issue of bad timing. I thought that we would have found out about his new duty station and now we won't know anything till around my embryo transfer. Can't a girl get a break?

2 comments:

  1. I'm keeping everything crossed for you guys, it must be very difficult moving so often, but you stay focus on the very important step coming up! Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you girl! I had my surgery (to open up one of my tubes, clean up some endo, and just a general 'under the hood' check up) while my husband was in recruiting school... while I continued infertiltiy testing, tried to sell our current home, and look for a new one. I sometimes want to ask the AF for one tiny year that they will give me so I can plan my life a little!

    ReplyDelete