Sunday, January 31, 2010

Getting some Answers

I know I probably shouldn't be doing this while I'm in the 2WW but I've been researching a little bit to find out why my embryos stopped growing. Most of the information I found was on websites for fertility clinics that highly encourage blastocyst transfers vs day 3 transfers. So their information might be slightly opinionated but it's still information nonetheless. I thought I would share some of this with you. The first comes from the San Diego Fertility Center. It states:

"A blastocyst embryo has reached a stage in development that requires activation of the embryo's own genes, called genomic activation. Genes are chemical codes that make us unique. When a sperm and egg fertilize the resulting baby is a mixture of the genes from the mother and father. This mixture creates a child who is unique and different from mother, father, or siblings. During early growth of the embryo, all of the energy and chemicals required for cell division come from the mother's egg. In order to continue to develop past the third or fourth day of life, the embryo must activate its own genes to produce energy for further cell division and differentiation. Sounds simple! Although this biological process is critical, it does not occur as easily as we might hope. Approximately one third of embryos are capable of successfully activating their genes and growing to the blastocyst stage. If an embryo reaches the blastocyst stage, nature is telling us that it is a healthier embryo and it has a better chance of implanting successfully and resulting in a normal, healthy, baby."

North Hudson IVF of New Jersey has even better information:

"When embryos are cultured to the blastocyst stage in the IVF laboratory, it is common to see about half of the embryos stop growing by the end of the third day. This rate of attrition is normal and is a result of the poor developmental potential of some of the embryos. Once an egg is fertilized, no genetic instructions are required for the embryo to reach the four-cell stage of development. However, on the third day, when the embryo is between the 4- and 8-cell stage of development, new genetic instructions are required for continued growth. About half the time, the genetic information required for growth beyond the 8-cell stage is conflicting, garbled or missing and the embryo simply stops growing. At present, it is beyond the IVF laboratory's capability to correct or improve the genetic potential of a developing embryo. It is important to also note that since the environment within the lab or the uterus cannot influence the genetic make up of the embryo, the same attrition is observed when the embryos are transferred to the uterus on Day 3. That is, transferring genetically compromised embryos to the uterus on Day 3 does not improve their chances of continued development."

I guess that's why my embryos never made it past four cells, except for the few that kept going. Even those embryos risk arresting because they haven't made it to blast yet. I guess I'll now in about two weeks, but at least I have some answers instead of none.

12 comments:

  1. It always amazes me what's out the information-wise and how people before the internet would ever be informed.

    I'm glad that you have some answers. I'm wondering what your doc will have to say about things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, I learned a few things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting info. I belong to an online group and this has been a topic of many posts. It's great to hear this info coming from an actual facility. I wish you all the best with your little embryos and I have met (online) many women that have great success with 3 day embies.... hope you are one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were just some bad embies... The best made it to the head of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot stop looking up answers myself! these are very informative and right about now I appreciate reading them. My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great info. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always had a problem making embryos that were good quality. In my cycles, I always had a high response and lots of egg fertilized but I was left with 2 or 3 not-so-great looking embryos by day 3. I never made it to blast. My REs explanation was that I have a form of PCOS....although I don't have the typical symptoms, my eggs don't grow and mature as they should. There's a hormonal imbalance i guess.

    Just wanted to wish you good luck with your cycle....stay positive and remember, it only takes one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed that you have a successful cycle! Focus on the embies that made it. I hope you don't have to do this again, but for those of us who are IVF veterans, we know that there are many mysteries and unexplained losses along the way. Unfortunately, a failed IVF leaves more questions than answers. And, those questions are often impossible to answer, even for the best doctors.
    Stay positive and try not to stress in your 2WW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes an explanation helps you move on...I am hoping the cycle works! My fingers and toes are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely saying lots of prayers for your little embies to snuggle in tight! Hope you are doing okay....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to send you a hug and tell you I am hoping and praying those little embies snuggle in tight. Some times I think it would be easier to be postive without the internet. It just gives us so much more information than we would have had access to in years past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you were able to find some answers. I'm always amazed at the number of eggs retrieved, then by the number that actually fertilized, which is then reduced again by the number that actually continues to grow.

    I am currently in my 2ww! I hope and pray that this cycle works for you!!!

    ReplyDelete