Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thinking about my first baby purchase

The agony of waiting another week until my ultrasound has got me pretty crabby and impatient lately. I've been trying to keep myself busy but it's difficult at work when my mind tends to wander. My workload isn't as high because I'm giving alot of it to The New Guy so he can get trained on all the stuff I do. So I pretty much sit around and answer his questions all day.

I'm thinking about making my first big baby purchase after the ultrasound next Tuesday (because buying some bigger clothes). I want to buy a doppler. I found a decent one for $150 and it seems well worth the price to be able to hear my baby's heartbeat whenever I want. The website says a heartbeat can be detected as early as 8 weeks but the standard time is 10 weeks. So I'm not sure if I should hold off on the purchase "just in case" something goes wrong at my second ultrasound appointment. I'm still debating.

Has anyone out there purchased or rented a doppler before? If so, what did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. We bought ours online used from Craigslist for $40. Totally worth it... but I don't know that I would have spent $150. That's a lot of money that could be spent on, oh, say cute baby clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got one and I couldn't have lived with out it. I didn't get it until I was 11 weeks along. So I am not sure how early you would be able to hear the heartbeat. However at 11 weeks I had no problem finding it. I used it all the time. It really helped me keep me from worrying early on This is the one I have and I love it!! You can get it now for as little as $75.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sonotrax-Fetal-Doppler-baby-heart-rate-monitor_W0QQitemZ180469783915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a04d65d6b#ht_3144wt_939

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you go to Kates blog (http://waitingforsunflower.blogspot.com/) she has rented one. I can't remember what the company was, but she got it and could here Mr. Sunflower at 8 weeks I think. Shes talked about the doppler and returning it in the last week or so. Just a thought because it wouldn't be as expensive.

    ReplyDelete