Thursday, February 25, 2010

Should I hope?

Let me just say that I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers you guys have been giving me. My husband firmly believed the doctor was wrong so I called Nurse D at Womack for a second opinion. She was pretty upset that the doctor told me the things he did. To recap the situation, he had sat down with us and focused on the fact that this could not be a viable pregnancy. He mentioned that they don't make any determination till after a second ultrasound but that he was very "concerned" about the health of the baby. He stated over and over again that things didn't look good and what he saw was not "normal" for a 6-week scan. He was supposed to see a sac, he was supposed to be able to measure the baby, the heartbeat was supposed to be faster. Nurse D disagreed with all of that. She said at Womack they never expect to see much during a 6 week ultrasound which is why they don't schedule the first one till 7 weeks. She gave me renewed hope when she told me that two girls this week came in for a D&C because there was no fetal pole on their last ultrasound and lo and behold, they had normal pregnancies on their scan this week. She did mention that I could miscarry but told me nothing could be certain until next week. My HCG levels came back at 13,319 so that's still within the normal range of 1K-56K. I think that my doctor today said the wrong things to us and made us believe that there was very little hope for this pregnancy. He focused too much on what he was "supposed" to see instead of what he was actually seeing. Apparently Madigan and Womack disagree on what is "supposed" to be seen at a 6 week ultrasound. It has me very confused right now. It sucks that I have to see this doctor again and I have no choice to find another RE (military insurance sucks sometimes) but at least I got a second opinion from Womack.

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got your second opinion... That HCG is good too! I will keep hope for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if they were going to send you to Madigan since the Naval Hospital is not as sophisticated. But Madigan is not Womack, so it is good that you got a 2nd opinion. When I have faced the possibility of loss (like a parent), I have decided to focus on the now and not the "what ifs". It got me through some serious emotional times. Stay in the moment and we will all be sending our prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Christa, just caught up on your last two posts and just wanted to give you my best wishes for good news next week. I can't imagine how hard today must have been for you and your husband. Prayers going out for your little bean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for second opinions! Hang in there. Praying that you will have a good appt next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely agree with nurse D!! And 13k for 6w gestation is just perfect. Be hopeful and really that doctor was very rushed in giving you such a hard time. Much love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. dr's aren't always right, and so don't give up hope at all. hang in there, i can't imagine how tough this is. but it ain't over till the fat lady sings, and i don't hear her singing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every doc is different and I swear expects to see different things. And some times they tell you things to lessen the blow if things do go bad. I can tell you my RE won't do an U/S until 6w5d because that is the time when "most" pg will show a heartbeat. The fact that you are earlier than that and saw a hb is a good sign (In my opinion anyway). Hang in there. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete