Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ireland, here we come....

As you can tell from my title, the ultrasound wasn't exactly a success. The spotting and cramping are gone so I felt quite foolish sitting in the ultrasound room this morning. I thought they would tell me that I overreacted a bit. Instead the doctor said he couldn't find anything. Well, that's what he said at first. There was no big black hole to indicate a sac (as shown below in a normal ultrasound, this is NOT a picture of my uterus).


Instead he saw a few wispy areas of black that were broken up by gray areas so it was very hard to tell whether it was one sac or not. Then he saw a flutter on the screen. He thought it was a heartbeat. I didn't see shit, honestly, but Brandon said he saw it too. The doctor counted the heartbeat and said it was about 90 bpm (beats per minute). He said that is much slower than it should be at 6 weeks. The "baby" (which I didn't see either, I have no idea how he could tell there was a baby on the screen) was also very tiny and he said it should be much bigger and more visible at this stage in the pregnancy. In other words, my gummy bear was a runt. He was not optimistic at all but he threw the "I still believe in miracles" bit in there.

Still, he told me to continue my medications. They took my HCG today and I have a repeat ultrasound and bloodwork on Tuesday to determine the final outcome.

Brandon thinks the doctor is wrong, that the heartbeat and size of the baby is actually normal. According to American Pregnancy the heartbeat should be 90-110 bpm at 6-7 weeks. I called the nurse to ask if the fact that my tilted uterus had anything to do with it. She said that it could, but the doctor's main concern is that the baby is much smaller than it should have been. My main concern is that there was really no defined sac. Brandon is still holding out hope that next Tuesday will show a bigger baby. As for me, I'm taking off the rose colored glasses and planning my consolation trip to Ireland. I guess Tuesday will render the final verdict.

11 comments:

  1. I'm going with Brandon on this one! I hope that Tuesday results in happier news and clearer images! I'm keeping you and your little gummy bear in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C - So sorry you're in a whole new hellish waiting phase. I can't imagine. Hope things turn out ok. We're always here if you need to vent. - KB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that things aren't where they 'should' be. Hoping and praying that everything will look great on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't get better news but I agree...if you're six weeks then 90bpm still falls into that normal range. Many times they can't even detect a hb that early, so that's a very good sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not the optimal appointment (to say the least). I am still holding out hope with the Dr & Brandon. Sending you positive thoughts and a BIG HUGE HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there is still a chance also so I'll be praying really really hard. I'm so sorry you have to be in this iffy place right now. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh, so hard to wait for these things. Being infertile, we are always made to wait. I will hold to on hope for you, even when you can't, and send you lots of + vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope and pray that your DH is right and that all is good and well with your baby!!! I am keeping you in my prayers .. and hope that you will get to go to Ireland with your baby next year instead of now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry...
    I had a chemical pregnancy last spring and when i went in for my ultrasound, they didn't see a darn thing - like nothing at all. This is much more promising, especially if the Dr detected a heartbeat - you're right 90 bpm is normal for 6 weeks. Praying that your little guy grows and shows his/her stuff next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweetie, at 6 weeks we saw a small sack and a pre-heartbeat (in the right tube) most people do not see a heartbeat until 6w3-4d and I've everything crossed that it'll be ok on tuesday. Sending you love and prayers, Fran

    ps: I'm in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm praying it's just too soon to see much. Lots of thoughts and prayers that there's a larger gummy bear in there next week!! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete