Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Consolation Prize

It's 4dp3dt and I'm not feeling a damn thing besides my sore stomach muscles. Which is just as good because I don't really feel like thinking about anything during the 2WW. I don't feel like analyzing every little twinge or oddity. I would just rather relax and sleep until it's over with. My beta is Wednesday the 10th. Tomorrow I think I will return to work although I'm starting to dread it. Everybody knows why I've been gone and I don't want people asking if I'm pregnant yet or when I'll find out. I've decided that I won't officially announce it until we see a heartbeat on the ultrasound. Of course I'll blog about my beta results but not many family and friends read my blog anyway so I should be safe. Another reason I don't want to return to work is because I found out during my IVF cycle that one of my co-workers is two months pregnant. Yippee. So if this cycle ends up with a BFN then I'm not sure how I'll handle that. I might ask to switch departments. Brandon suggested that I just quit my job but I make pretty good money and don't really want to do that, especially if the military makes him stay here for another year or two.

Brandon and I discussed quite a bit about what we'll do *if* this cycle doesn't work. Are we willing to try another fresh IVF? Are we willing to do adoption? We're honestly considering just living childless for the rest of our lives. But who knows. But I did decide on one thing: if this cycle ends up negative then I will get a pretty sweet consolation prize. That way I still have SOMETHING to look forward to this year. My consolation prize will be a trip to Ireland. We will probably go sometime in the fall when it's cheap and stay for at least 10 days, maybe two weeks. I've always wanted to visit Ireland ever since I was a little girl. I want to see the castles and abbeys and the Cliffs of Moher and meet the people. Brandon isn't too thrilled about going, he doesn't see the point. As he puts it, "We're not big beer drinkers and that's all they have in Ireland, pubs!" but I just think he doesn't have the travel bug as badly as I do. He said if I'm interested in castles then we should go to Europe, they have plenty of castles there. It's true, I'd love to go see the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany (the one that the Disney Castle was modeled after) but I'm not really interested in visiting Europe right now. I'd rather go to Ireland. Nothing against Europe but I just think the people are friendlier on the Emerald Isle.

Some people have asked "Why don't you just save that money for another IVF?" and I realize that $2,000 would help with the cost of another IVF or adoption, but I feel that a vacation for the two of us would be really nice. Every other vacation I've taken has given me something to focus on and for once, infertility does not become the focus of our lives. That's why we take so many vacations! That is also part of the reason why Brandon and I considered living childless instead of trying more fertility treatments. I don't want to look back on the last 5 or 10 years of my life and see that it was completely consumed by infertility treatments. I don't want our lives to have revolved around cycles and medications and doctor appointments. I want to look back and see that even if we weren't able to produce a child, our lives were still fulfilling and happy. Travel really makes me happy. I love visiting new places, meeting new people and having those memories to look back on.

So if things don't work out and I end up with a BFN or worse, a miscarriage, then we'll be spending a nice two weeks in Ireland and just being happy with each other. In the end I can at least feel confident that infertility will not affect the strength of our marriage and may even make it stronger, whether we end up with children or not.

8 comments:

  1. I am 6dp6dt and I go in for my beta on the 10th too! I can so relate to you in this post. We talk about what we would do if this cycle doesn't work or ends up in m/c (like the last three pregnancies). We have a cruise planned for March so I have something to look forward to after this cycle. And if the worst happens and I do m/c, I will be devasted, but I will continue to live my life.

    I'm getting anxious to POAS, but I know it's way too early!

    I hope we can both celebrate BFP next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christa, I recently joined your blog. I have been TTC for 4 years now, and I have vacationed so much in the past 4 years, much for the same reasons you have described. We can't let our lives become only about infertility. And besides, a vacation is a nice way to de-stress yourself in case you decide to pursue future t/x's.

    In the meantime, good luck with your cycle this time around. It's hard not to think about these things in the 2 ww to "soften the blow."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a road trip across Ireland two springs ago, and it was AWESOME. Just gorgeous. We're not big drinkers either, but we did do a "literary pub crawl" where the tour guides acted out scenes from certain Irish authors' novels over a pints of Guiness. It was fun and quirky and highly recommended. We did the Guiness brewery tour, too. You know, because you're there and it's there and YES, it tastes better there. Worth it. Dublin is a fun city. Cliffs of Moher is breathtaking. BUT WHY AM I TELLING YOU THIS, 'CAUSE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO IRELAND THIS YEAR! :)

    We've had frank discussions about remaining childless, too, and we haven't even started our first IVF cycle. (It's in the works for this spring.) I know that we could do childlessness happily, especially if we knew that we tried our best. Utlimately, you will make the best decision for the two of you, and there's no need to justify whichever decision you make.

    And anyway, this is your life, lady! If you want to spend $2K on a dream trip, go for it! Enjoy, be merry, and make the most of it, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things will work out for you this cycle. And I hope also I will meet you one day in Ireland, but not too soon. i'd love to meet you and your husband and your baby all at once. Much love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope this works for you. Though it's nice to know you have something to look forward to. I'd love to go to Ireland too. I've been to the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. It's quite a sight, but you have to be ready to climb/walk all the way up there. Europe is great but it is huge. We went on a whirlwind tour - 8 countries in 12 days. It was good to see a bit of everything, but I'd like to spend more time in each country. Like you spending 10 days in Ireland sounds awesome. I really hope this cycle brings your bundle of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope and pray for you that this cycle does work and that in the autumn you will be looking forward to the birth of your baby(ies!!! If this time does not work... take a break, think it over and figure it out from then onwards. When my first cycle did not work I was so angry for months on end and it took a lot of pushing from my side to have the courage to start again fresh.. but I did and it did pay off! Keep the faith for now... because life is full of possibility and on the 10th you could have the best pre-Valentines present of your life!!! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that sounds wonderful! We were based in Northern Italy for four years but we never made it to Ireland, unfortunately. I love to travel, too and I really miss living in Italy. I'm glad you have something to look forward to, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those little embies will be sticking around for a nice long while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do what you need to do - when you are dealing with infertility you deserve to treat yourself. By the way, I am sure you have heard this before, but don't get hung up on trying to figure out if you feel pregnant during the 2WW. I felt nothing abnormal last spring during my 2WW or during most of my first trimester and I was definitely pregnant - my 10 week old is proof!!

    ReplyDelete