Thursday, March 11, 2010

D&C Day **UPDATE**

Well today was the D&C. My reporting time was 7 am. It wasn't too painful and now I have my lovely Percocet. I have some bleeding and cramping but that's about it. And the nurse tried to use a vein in my forearm for the IV but couldn't so now it's really painful to the touch. She ended up going with the big vein in my elbow and now I look like a heroin addict.

The doctor gave me one last ultrasound before the D&C. I mentioned I had some brown spotting this morning and he noticed that the embryonic sac had already started moving away from the uterine wall and that was probably the cause of my spotting. So apparently we had the D&C just in the nick of time or I would have miscarried on my own. After the surgery the doctor came back to visit me and said they got everything and it should be 3-4 weeks before the results come back.

I have an appointment in two weeks for a follow-up WTF talk. I also called Nurse D at Womack and let her know what happened. We're thinking about doing the FET this summer so I want to find out about the process. I asked her about my HCG levels which she looked up. So the first u/s where the doc said our pregnancy wasn't viable was 13K on a Thursday. The next Tuesday (5 days later) at our u/s where the doc found a heartbeat of 120 bpm the HCG was only 22K. This past Tuesday (7 days later) the HCG was only 34K. I read that after the HCG levels reach 13,000 they should double every four days. Well our HCG didn't even double in a week so we have no second thoughts about doing the D&C. Some people have been insisting to me that there are cases where people go to have D&C's only to find out they have a perfectly normal baby. We're 100% we are not one of those cases and we feel confident in the decision we made. In 3-4 weeks we'll hopefully have some answers and can move on from this painful experience.

**UPDATE AND TMI ALERT** Has anyone who had a D&C had some pain during urination? The past two times I've peed I've gotten a stabbing pain down there. Not sure if it's my vagina or my bladder.

14 comments:

  1. it will be really helpful if you can get answers. In my two occasions they said there never was enough material to analyse (plus they were ectopics so really no reason to investigate in their opinon). I felt they just don't do it routinely in Ireland so they didn't bother. Get well soon my friend. Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that you had to go through all of this Christa. I hope you get some answers - that you can use to make the next transfer... well, successful! In the meantime, take good care of yourself and do something kind for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of thoughts and prayers for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christa, I'm relieved you're feeling okay after the D&C. So sorry things turned out this way. I also believe that you and your doctor made the correct decision. The evidence was overwhelming and you are so strong to be able to make such a difficult (but wise) decision. Thinking of you....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been thinking about you... Hope you all get the answers you so desperatly need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about you all day. I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you are able to get the answers you need about the m/c and the plans for the FET.

    For now, take care of yourself and rest up. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christa, you've been in my thoughts so much today. I've had two D&Es and they were absolute hell emotionally. I wish there were something I could say or do for you.

    After my procedures I had pain when I urinated for at least a day. I know our procedures were different, but I believe it's from the catheter they put in you for the procedure. It will get better.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. They never told me they would give me a catheter. I suspected they did because of the pain but when I woke up from surgery I had to pee so bad I thought I would pee on myself. So I really have no idea whether they gave me one or not

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christa, My heart goes out to you. I have been in your position and you made exactly the right decision. Had you not had the d&c it probably would have only been a partial miscarriage and your body could have been in limbo for weeks or months trying to suppost a non-viable pregnancy. This way, your body can heal faster and more easily. I did not have any pain with urination after the d&c, but it may be normal depending on what they did. Still, if it gets worse or doesn't go away within a day or two, you should call the Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about you, Please take time for yourself. I would call the clinic about the pain. Praying that you will have a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry that you had to go through this, but I am glad you feel comfortable with your decision. Good luck with the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did the right thing, Christa. I'm just sorry you were in this situation to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Christa...You don't know me. I just happened upon your blog. I had a D&C a few weeks ago...after going into labor (I was 16 weeks) and having my water break. It was awful.

    I had some pain peeing and just general bladder pain for a few weeks after the procedure. I started taking cranberry pills that I got from Walmart. They worked wonders.

    Sorry for your loss. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fist of all, I"m soooooo sorry about your loss. It is truly one of the most devastating experiences one can have. I also wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors to get (and stay) pregnant.

    As for the bladder, it's very likely irritation from having a catheter in place. It's standard procedure for most surgical procedures and especially any procedure "down there". The unfortunate thing is that this often means uncomfortable or even painful urination. To avoid an infection developing, drink lots of water and/or cranberry juice. Best of luck and I hope for a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete