Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Adoption or IVF

I know Brandon and I are physically taking a break from TTC until this summer but it's hard to take a break mentally. I find myself constantly thinking about my last IVF cycle, the hope and joy I felt when I learned I was pregnant and the utter devastation that followed when the baby was no longer there. Sometimes I still feel like I couldn't possibly go through that again and yet I want a child more than anything.

We have 2 embryos to try a FET but honestly I'm not counting on it. With the thaw rate at only 50% and both embryos being grade 2, I think our chance of success will be minimal. So I'm looking past that and trying to hash out how we can build our family with the least amount of heartache (and money). Brandon is all for another cycle of IVF if the pathology report from the D&C shows that there's nothing wrong with us. I'm hesitant to do another cycle 1) because I think I have crappy eggs, hence the miscarriages and 2) the chance of getting pregnant is only 50%, the chance of staying pregnant is only 70%. Not very good odds.

We discussed embryo adoption as a possible option. There is an agency that lists their fees, which are about $3,000 to get into the program and $3,000 for a FET. You get three tries before having to reapply. It sounds reasonable but the wait can 10-12 months and there's lots of stuff involved such as a homestudy.

Another option is domestic infant adoption. This option is the scariest for me as it costs the most (about $25K), there are risks of failed adoptions and birth mother scams, and can take over a year to be matched. But in the end its the only option that guarantees we will bring home a baby, mostly because we just wait until one comes our way. For those that know me I hate waiting. I absolutely hate it. I feel like I've already waited years to have a child with all the combined infertility treatments we've had. How can I possibly wait two more years for my baby to come home? And how can we possibly afford $25,000 to adopt a child? We'll spend the rest of the kid's life paying it off instead of saving for their college education or our retirement!

So I'm seriously on the fence with these three options. Each one has its pros and cons and two of the options I know nothing about because I've never gone through them. I wish life were so much simpler and I didn't have to make this kind of decision. But life is full of tough choices. I can only hope I make the right one.

10 comments:

  1. Isn't all of this so hard? Each decision that we need to make is agonizing and often refers back to financial means. I wish you the best of luck in finding the right path for you both. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. christa - your blog is so COOL!! i've never seen one that looks like this - i love it!!

    i know where you are...as i've been there. we did 2 rounds of IVF, and now as you know, we have worked through all our options and settled on demb. just want to let you know that you can do demb for less than 6 grand...more along the lines of 3500 - 4500 for each try, and you get as many embies as are in the batch you "match."
    i think that its a good idea to at least try to use your frosties - but after that - the choice is hard. i can't recommend "Adopting: Sound Choices, Strong Families" by patricia johnston enough. it is actually what helped us work through a lot of our decisions. it was recommended by our IF therapist. it didn't happen over night, but it really helped us to think and talk through adoption and demb.

    thanks for the comment on my blog!

    xoxox
    sparklythings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa I am glad to hear you are evaluating you options. Afte my first failed IVF cycle I had all of these thoughts in my head too and with time the answer came by itself and we went for another fresh IVF cycle. I know it's really hard to stop thinking about it (I struggled with it so much!) but try give yourself some time to grieve and not thinking about TTC. IVF and TTC take up such a big part of our lives that sometimes we just need a break for being "us" again to gain some prospective on what to do next. I am thinking of you sweetie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll know what's right for you when you're ready to decide.

    Until then, I'm just going to share what I would do if I were in your shoes (in other words if my pregnancy doesn't last). I would do the FET because they're my babies and I can't bear the thought of discarding them. The deserve a chance. The stats you listed are GREAT if you ask me! Way better than my chances of my last IVF cycle working and it did. So you try the FET...if that fails then go for adoption. Yes it costs more, but at the end you get a BABY! And yes it takes a long time, but what are the options? You could decide to be childless but then think about you'll feel 2 years down the road - would you look back and think that by this time you could have had the baby home?

    Dont' get me wrong. If things for us turn bad, the thought of having to do another cycle would be torturous. But I think that once things settled, we'd have to press on - what choice is there?

    There is no way that i could really understand how you feel right now, but that is just how I would approach - I think...one doesn't know what they'll do until they're faced with the actual situation.

    Stay strong girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These decisions are so difficult. If you're looking into the possibility of another IVF cycle, stop by my blog where I wrote about a program in Turkey that is very cheap (well, compared to here in US). Good luck making your decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christa-

    I am so sorry that you are going through this, but I can relate to your pains. These are not easy decisions that we face. I wish you the best in coming to terms with the best way for you. It's so frustrating at the thought of having to continue to wait, isn't it? Meanwhile, our lives stay on hold...

    Thinking of you...
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many hugs to you.

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to wish you luck and send some hugs your way! Good luck with whatever decision you make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh. I'm not there yet, but I understand the thoughts because I've certainly toyed with them all.

    I wish I could give advice, but all I can say is, you'll arrive at the decision that is right for you at some point. I hope that it is sooner rather than later.

    Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christa--IF totally sucks! I am confident that you will arrive at the right decision for you and your DH. Sometimes the journey is no fun. Just remember you have your blog friends pulling for you...and you can vent all you want to us!

    ReplyDelete