Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Miscarriage Confirmed

Today's ultrasound confirmed what I had known since Saturday. Our baby stopped growing. The doctor said it measured only 6w1d which is the same size it was last week (I'm 7w6d today). We decided to go with a D&C (scheduled for Thursday) once I was reassured that I would be under anesthesia and I wouldn't feel any pain during the surgery. I had a bad LEEP experience a couple years ago where they only used a cervical block (that didn't numb the area properly) and I swore I would never go through that kind of pain again. I'm very sensitive when people mess around with the lady parts.

This has been a painful weekend for Brandon and I. We're very sad and not sure what to do. We hope the D&C will give us some answers about the issues that caused this miscarriage. I want some testing done to see if I have any genetic, clotting or immune issues that can contribute to our miscarriage rate. I'm not sure if the doctor will do those tests. If it turns out we have additional issues we may not pursue another IVF. Other options we are considering are embryo adoption or domestic infant adoption. Both choices have so much information to research that it will take a very long time to get all the information we need to make an educated decision.

Although I'm extremely sad that we're back at Square One, I'm surprisingly at peace right now. We want a baby more than anything but Brandon and I still have each other. I'm so thankful to be in a wonderful marriage with a man who loves me very much. We've had so many wonderful adventures together as a couple, even during all the infertility treatments, and I'm sure we'll have many more adventures in the future. Those adventures may or may not include a child but they will include the two of us and that's all that really matters. Infertility is a part of us but it does not define us. It does not consume our lives because we refuse to let it. Sometimes it takes an epic failure such as a miscarriage to really see what's important in your life. And the most important thing to me is the relationship I already have with my husband, not the dream of a child that may never exist.

I'm not saying that we don't want kids or that we're quitting fertility treatments. We're not ready to give up just yet. But we are growing weary of the medications and treatments and long trips to the doctor. We know that there will come a day when the pain of failed treatments and the cost of creating a family will outweigh the joy that a child will bring. Some may disagree with me and say that a child is worth every penny they spent but that's how I feel. We hope that we will be blessed with a child long before that day comes, either through adoption or pregnancy, but even if we never have children Brandon and I have such a strong marriage that we can be happy with just the two of us.

29 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry for your loss. Thinking healing thoughts for you both at this difficult time. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so sorry. I will put you in my prayers for Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. I wish there were something more I could say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry that you are going through this. It's hard to know when enough is enough. I do hope your Drs can do further testing on you. Have you not been tested for blood-clotting disorders yet? If not, I highly reccomend it. I wish you all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. If it helps in any way, my D&C was a breeze phisically. I couldn´t understand why such a huge loss could hurt so little. So don´t worry about the procedure, it shouldn´t be that bad. Good luck with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christa, I am very very sorry to hear about your loss. I wish I have anything else to say. I am very sad for you.

    Biloxi girl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry...
    You sound so emotionally healthy...your perspective is excellent. I'm sure you'll have some tough days ahead of you, but you are on your way to finding peace, whatever that may look like for the two of you. Good luck Thursday. And, again, I'm terribly sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope the doctor will do testing to see what caused this so that maybe it can be prevented should you choose to pursue IVF again. I'm praying God will give you and your husband comfort and healing both physically and emotionally. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Christa, I'm gutted for you. I'm genuinely sorry. Keeping you in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chirsta, Im so sorry. You and your husband will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss, Christa. I hope that you can get the answers that you deserve. Lots of prayers for both you and Brandon as you go through all of this. Lots and lots of hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH hunny, I am so sorry. You are so awesome for realizing the love that you and your husband share. That's what got me through my m/c, too. Big big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christa, I'm so sorry you are going through this. A miscarriage is the biggest fear of any newly pregnant infertile woman. And to have a d&c is awful. Take time to heal and I truly hope you get some answers to explain what happened. I'm glad you can recognize the great relationship with your husband to see you through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not many words to say except I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending you love and light and prayers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart is breaking for you, I'm soooo very sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is and I hate that you have to go through this horrible experience. Big big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sorry I'm wrapping you in a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Christa,
    I'm so sorry about your little one. You sound so strong and mature about this whole thing but I know that doesn't take away the pain. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for some very effective anasthesia.((())))

    ReplyDelete
  19. So so so sorry for your loss.

    LFCA

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are no words except I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you are at peace. I will be praying for your D&C and for a quick and painless recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Christa I am so sorry for your loss. I am praying for you and Brandon...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so so sorry. I admire your strength and look forward to reading more about your life in the future. Fran

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry for your loss...I hope that the love you feel here in blogland gives you even more peace and comfort. Eve

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry...

    I happen to be a self-taught TRICARE infertility expert and I've never had any trouble with them paying for genetic testing for clotting disorders, etc. I didn't use a MTF (I lived in Germany for most of my testing) but I know each one has a genetic counselor so if you could get a referrel, you should be good. I know it can seem like a long hard battle but if you push enough you can get it done. Feel free to contact me via my blog if you have any questions.

    Take care of yourself; I hope the D&C goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am also so sorry for your loss, and I commiserate totally, as I just had a D&C yesterday- at a 6w3d loss, had a 5mm fetal pole, but no heartbeat at 8w, 1st IVF. The D&C was really not as bad as I thought, and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

    Just wanted to let you know someone in the same boat is thinking of you.
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sorry for your loss, how awful to loose such a hard-won pregnancy.

    I'm glad you have faith in the long-term outcome for your relationship and happiness, regardless of current grief.

    When to quit is something you decide in the here and now. Whether or not every penny was worth it, is something you regard in hindsight.
    I can hardly imagine IF couples thinking their child wasn't worth the effort, once it arrives.
    I CAN imagine that couples who end up without success (in some form or other) might regret investing as much as they did.
    It's impossible to know what you would really feel or think if you ended up in the other situation than the one you're in (at least that's my opinion).

    (Arrived here from the Crème de la Crème list.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that you have better luck with your upcoming FET.

    I think that it's great that you have such a solid marriage and such optimism about whatever the future holds. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete