Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ranting

It's always a treat going to the Navy clinic here for my ultrasounds. It's like I'm guaranteed to have a good laugh by all the stupid shit that comes out of people's mouths. Like this time I went. Or this time. Oh and don't forget about this time. So of course I couldn't expect today to be any different but I still hope.

This morning I had my baseline ultrasound. Speaking of which, is it still considered a baseline for FET's? I mean, they don't really care about my antral follicle count, they just want to make sure I'm not growing a cyst. But I digress.

So I go into the clinic and say good morning to the ultrasound tech who has done my last dozen or so appointments. We should be on a first name basis by now but she didn't recognize me until she looked at the paperwork. So she calls me back into the ultrasound room, my absolute faaaaavorite place to be. I swear, at this point I think I have a common-law marriage with the ultrasound wand. Anyway, this is the conversation that ensued while I was being wanded:

U/S Tech- Hey! I thought when I saw you at your last appointment you were having your procedure done.
Me- Um, I did have it done but it didn't work so we're doing another.
U/S Tech- Ohhh I'm sorry. So, how many of these procedures are you allowed to do? As many as you want?
Me- Well, we can do as many procedures as we have embryos for. Since we only have two embryos left this is going to be our last frozen embryo transfer.
U/S Tech- Oh I see. So what happens when you run out of embryos? Can you just get more?
Me- Um, well, we could do another IVF but my husband is getting out of the military in 3 years so-
U/S Tech- Oh, so the military won't pay for it anymore.
Me- Well it's not free through the military. We pay for the procedure, it's just a bit cheaper than going to a civilian clinic.
U/S Tech- Welllll my niece's neighbor's dog sitter's cousin twice-removed adopted a baby and when their child turned 5 they ended up pregnant! So you never know!

It was like every stupid thing you could say to an infertile all rolled up into one conversation. And call me an ass for assuming, but I kinda figured an ultrasound technician would know how an IVF cycle works.

Ok. Rant over. Moving on.

10 comments:

  1. YES! Ugh! I love it when somebody once adopted a baby and BAM! got pregnant. Because that happens aaaalllll the time. *eye roll*

    I think my favorite was this last cycle the ultrasound tech said to me, "I just know this is going to work for you guys!" Oh really? You know? Gee, thanks, because it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG -- That woman should be fired. Immediately. Or bitch-slapped. Or both. Because -- seriously????? Do you have absolutely NO sense of compassion for your patients????

    Kudos to you for maintaining your composure. You're a kinder woman than I am.

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm speechless....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear Lord. You'd think that people working in association with an INFERTILITY clinic would know a little bit more. Mad props to you for keeping your cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So what happens when you run out of embryos? Can you just get more?" Yes, they are for sale on Amazon, you just order more when you run out. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you had to deal with her...It's kind of funny though. You would think they would train their employees on the proper things to say. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. The crap that comes outta peoples' mouths. My new response to that is, "Yeah, we've adopted 10 kids so far, and it hasn't worked. But, you're right....you never know!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I no longer have the self control to stay quite, more often then not, I say "I sure hope not, because my body is really good at killing them". People don't quite know what to say after that, but I'm so over it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thanks for the commentary, clueless ultrasound tech! What is she thinking? How insensitive and clueless.

    ReplyDelete