Tuesday, January 25, 2011

All Systems Go!

Yesterday was my final ultrasound appointment. Everything looked great and my lining is between 11 and 12mm. Dr P called me yesterday afternoon (a bit odd because it's usually Nurse D who calls me) and said that everything looks fine and to keep up with the medication schedule. That means I continue Estrace 3x a day till Thursday, take my trigger shot tomorrow night, and start Endometrin on Friday (along with Estrace 2x a day). Transfer is scheduled for Monday the 31st.

Yesterday's appointment turned out a little weird for me. The lady at the health clinic had been doing my ultrasounds the entire FET cycle (as well as my baseline for my last IVF but I doubt she remembers). Anyway, she knew these ultrasounds were for an FET and was kind enough to share my results with me instead of making me wait for Nurse D's phone call. But we weren't exactly on a "friend" basis, know what I mean? I didn't know her name, I didn't joke around with her like I did with the nurses at Womack. It was just a "wham, bam, thank-you-m'am" kinda deal between us. So imagine my surprise when I walk out of the bathroom after getting dressed she hands me a piece of paper with her name and work phone number on it and says "If you get a chance, could you please call me and let me know when you get pregnant?" Seriously? You do realize I'm infertile and I've been through this kind of crap before, right? I mean, the chances of a phone call are pretty slim, lady. And then as I'm walking out of the ultrasound room she blurts out "I hope it's a boy!!" Wait, what?? Even the nurses at Womack aren't that optimistic, cause they all know that fertility treatments aren't exactly a cakewalk. There are plenty of times that it doesn't work. I'm sure I would have responded completely differently if this had been my first IVF cycle, but I just couldn't muster anything more than a thank-you before skirting out the door. It was a nice thing for her to say, but her excitement was a bit weird.

With that said, I feel I must share my feelings about this upcoming FET. For the past couple months, I've had this very very strong feeling that this is not going to work. And not just this cycle, but any of the subsequent FET cycles as well. It's hard to explain but I sure some of you "get it". I just feel that last year, when we were at a fork in the road and chose to pursue IVF instead of adoption, I felt like I made the wrong choice. That for some reason my baby isn't going to come to me through a pregnancy but through adoption instead. I'm not pessimistic because of my last failed IVF, I'm not glum or complaining or moody, I just have this feeling in the pit of my stomach, in the deepest section of my heart. And it's strong but not so strong that it's preventing me from going through with this FET. Those are my embryos after all. And I don't feel like I'm in the pits of despair, I'm actually rather calm about it. But I must admit to myself, my family and my readers that from Day One of this cycle I have not had any optimism because I truly think that it's not going to work.

And I know some of you may pull the "power of negative thinking" card but I simply don't believe in that. If there's such a thing as the power of negative thinking then there's such a thing as the power of positive thinking and I should have a dozen children by now. And my thinking isn't negative, it's just a gut feeling. And those are things you can't really get rid of. I could repeat the mantra "This is going to work" over and over again but that would never get rid of the thoughts I have in the back of my head. And if, in two weeks, I'm proven wrong with a positive beta then I'll be overjoyed. I just don't think that's going to be the case. It's not that I don't want to get pregnant, I want it very very much, it's just this unexplainable feeling that I have that I won't be able to realize that dream and that God may have other plans for me. But I'm not so worried about it because I know that it will all work out in the end and I'll still be a mother regardless.

But hope springs eternal, right? So I figured I should at least make preparations for if I get pregnant. Unfortunately that means finding a new doctor because the health clinic doesn't have the capability of seeing pregnant women. So last week I got a referral from Tricare to see a doctor who was recommended to me by the ultrasound tech. I called today to find out their procedure for getting early ultrasounds when pregnant. What a headache. This was the conversation that ensued:

Me: Hi, my name is Christa and I was just referred to your office through Tricare. I'm going through a FET right now and would like to know how to get set up for an ultrasound in the event I get pregnant.
Clinic: Well we only do walk-in appts to get people set up if they're pregnant.
Me: And what does the walk-in appt entail? Confirming pregnancy?
Clinic:
Yes.
Me: Well I'll already have that done with a blood test, could I just fax that info to you and set up an appointment over the phone?
Clinic: No, you would still need to do the walk-in to get you set up in our system, you can just bring that paper with you when you come.
Me:
Oooookay. Well what's the protocol for doing your ultrasounds? Can you do them as early as 7 weeks? That's generally when my RE sets up ultrasounds for fertility patients.
Clinic: Oh noooo, that's too early, the doctor wouldn't be able to see anything, blah blah blah (I stopped listening after she said no)
Me: Well would he do it if I had a letter brought in from my RE requesting it?
Clinic: Now you're just asking questions that I have no idea about because they're going to need to do labwork, determine when your last ultrasound was, blah blah blah, something about it not being a normal pregnancy....no shit

Yea, I was getting pissed. So in the event of a pregnancy my game plan is to walk my happy ass into the clinic with a note from Dr P with my beta numbers and a request for a 7 week ultrasound. If they are unwilling to accommodate that then I'll fly down to NC for my first ultrasound. I shit you not. I'm not going through all this just to wait till 8 or 9 weeks to see my Sprout for the first time.

"Hell hath no fury like an infertile told to wait." -- Christa S.

11 comments:

  1. I know how you feel but I am going to think positive for you! I think that FETs have a better chance of working because your body is at a better starting point. It's healed from the retrieval and ready to go! I have a good feeling for this one! When is the FET date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sat here and read your entire post and I'm at a loss for words. I can't say that I know the struggle that your going through, but I can say that I am thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts your way!

    Good luck! As for dealing with a "normal" TCP doc to set up an appt to confirm your pregnant is a ROYAL pain in the butt! I can only imagine the excitement that you will have and for them NOT to give you an ultrasound until 10-12 wks is insane! HELLO....haven't you been through enough? Hopefully once you "walk-in" to the clinic to confirm, they will understand your need for the ultrasound.

    Sending positive thoughts your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all systems are go. My last monitoring is tomorrow..and it freaks my out that there is no monitoring again until the transfer. Thats the infertile talking :)
    I have hope for you and will be checking everything crossed for a successful FET.
    And if you get your BFP, you will march in there with a note from your RE and get that 7 week u/s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping this FET works out! I know how you feel - I always have certain feelings and they've never changed an outcome. If negativity or positivity made a cycle I would also have a ton of children right now.

    Hope you can get someone who *will* do a scan at 7 weeks. That's crap how they wouldn't do it earlier, seeing as you are having fertility treatments normally people would.

    And wow, she said you wouldn't see anything at 7 weeks? Bullshit considering I saw a gestational sac at 5 weeks and a heartbeat by 6, why would she say that? Ehh, hate people like that. Hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm that woman was a little too enthusiastic. I don't know how I would have reacted either. What a lame clinic! Walk-ins? Seriously? Won't your RE keep seeing you for a while in the even of a BFP? Maybe my situation is diff since I have RPL, but my RE wouldn't release me until 9-11wks I'm sure and thats with weekly monitoring. Not that I've ever made it that far....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have they not heard of the dildo cam? Because it's totally appropriate and functional at 7 weeks. Dufus.

    I hope you get to NEED the crappy clinic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had that feeling many times! so many don't understand because they think you should always think positive...that only worked for me for the first year (maybe 2).

    My fingers are crossed for you!! I have hope <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me think of when I had to get a referral from Tricare to go to the OB. I had to go on base and pee in a cup even though I had several sets of ultrasound pics in my purse as proof of my pregnancy. Some people just don't get it! Anyway, much luck to you in this upcoming FET! Don't give up on those little frozen embies just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that sounds like the start of a terrible joke: "An infertile walks into a clinic..."

    I hope you get a positive beta and that this all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you're only a few days away and I'm so excited for you!!!

    And, I gave you a blog award today so if you get a chance, come check it out!

    ReplyDelete