Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Baseline Ultrasound...and a Question

I don't really like the health clinic here in Groton. It's small and the people here are fairly inexperienced. It takes forever to get results from tests and it just sucks in general. Nurse D was kind enough to print out a letter stating the days I would need my ultrasound appointments, the bloodwork that had to be done, and specifically stated that she wanted the results the same day to be faxed to her. So last month I go to the radiology dept with my handy letter and show them that I need my first appointment on the 5th, the second on the 12th, third on the 18th, and fourth on the 24th. Well apparently they couldn't book that far in advance so they only scheduled my first appointment (today's, which was my baseline u/s and everything looked fine). They copied the info from the letter onto the appointment order and asked me why I was getting the ultrasounds. I explained that it was for a frozen embryo transfer.

This morning while I'm on the table getting ready, I looked over at the medical record and see that my ultrasound was in fact for a "frozen embreo transplant". I shit you not. The young Navy guy who set me up for my appt probably doesn't even know what an embryo is, much less an embreo.

The ultrasound room doesn't have a table with stirrups. Instead I get to lay on a gurney with a pillow under my butt. Classy. But the u/s tech seems nice enough. Oh, and the same day results? Sorry but they told me that Dr. P could call them and get the results over the phone but the results wouldn't be in the system for a few days. Same thing with my bloodwork, the lab said they can't do same day results at all. So my happy ass has to swing by Lab.Corp before every ultrasound appointment, get my blood drawn there, and then go to the health clinic for my "frozen embreo tranplant" ultrasounds.

I just have to keep reminding myself that my only other option is to travel down to NC for each appointment, which isn't doable. God this sucks.

***UPDATE*** So my big box of meds just showed up and in it I've got the Lupron, trigger shot, Endometrin and Estrace. But the Estrace wasn't exactly what I had expected. These pills are, well, tiny. And they're supposed to go up my hoo-ha along with the Endometrin but there's no way they will fit in the Endometrin applicator. They're too small. So ummmm, how exactly am I going to get them from Point A (the box) to be Point B (my vajayjay). Is this a, ahem, manual thing? Not sure I can get it very close to my cervix that way. Can any FET ladies out there offer their input?

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to laugh...right?! Geez Louise! I always say that it is amazing how little people know about the IVF process....I mean...pretty much nothing! Even my friends and family are completely clueless, you'd think they would like at least google it or something to get a basic idea of what I am going through, but instead....they remain clueless! Oh well!
    Sorry to hear that you are having an embreo transplant, but I hope it takes! LOL! Hang in there...hopefully this is your last transplant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. frozen embreo transplant. Nice. It sucks having to deal with health "professionals" who don't know what they're doing.

    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your FET!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugg...that sucks but it will be worth it in the end! Hang in there! Praying this FET is the one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that post wasnt meant to be funny...but bewteen the embreo transplant and the gerney with the pillow...i am almost crying laughing. What in the world??????? ugh. i would be rolling my eyes too if i were you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is sad. Doesn't give much confidence that other things are handled correctly, does it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzer!! But sometimes you just hafta laugh, right? Do you have TriCare? I did when I was in the army (my pre-IF days) and every single thing--lab, radiology, regular appointment--was a total goat rope!

    Sending you good thoughts for your FET!
    ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  8. EW I'm so glad I didn't have to do Estrace, now that I know it's "manual." Hmmm......maybe you could balance it on top of a tampon and get it up there? lol I realize how stupid that sounds, now that I wrote it out. Okay, for real though. I wonder if you could wet the top of the Endometrin tablet just enough to make the Estrace stick to it? Then you get both in at once.

    PS- What IDIOTS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My doc used Estrace in my IVF cycle last year. He just had me take it orally though. I would check with your doc as to how you are supposed to take it and if they might have given you the wrong formulation. The tiny pills sound more like they would be oral rather than vaginal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, man, that is so horrid it is kinda funny. I am so sorry. And unfortunately I am of zero help in the pill up the hooha department. :( Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy S#*$ that sounds awful! Sure hope they take good care of you until you get down here where the drs and nurses know what they are doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used estrodial patches...nothing up the lady parts for this girl. Just breath, take each moment as they are and keep you eye on the prize...a baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lmao..embreo..crazy. And if they found a way to implant it, I'm coming there!!
    I use estrace and it was small 1mg pills orally. I would check with your doc. I started my Lupron tonight for my frozen embreo transplant :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Luck with your Cycle! I'm an AF wife myself and we have only ever used off base facilities for everything...so far anyway. We just PCS'd in June and haven't found a new RE yet so not sure what to expect here. If that tech is anything like the young "airmen" we have at our clinic here, they are clueless sometimes! That's just military life for ya! Anyway, I have a question for you in regards to your meds. Are you sure the Estrace is supposed to go up your hoo-ha? :) When I used Estrace I took it orally. You may want to double check that. Just saying :D

    ReplyDelete