Friday, January 21, 2011

Gotta Love those Navy Clinics

Have I mentioned how much I love the health clinic I go to? (yes that question was dripping with sarcasm) Today I had a doctor appointment with my PCM (primary care manager for you non-military folks). I needed a referral to an OB/GYN at a civilian clinic because *if* I get pregnant then the health clinic on base doesn't have the capability of treating pregnant women. And *if* I don't get pregnant then the u/s tech here said I'm better off going to an OB/GYN for my next FET scans.

So I'm sitting in the office explaining to my PCM (who is about my age) my reasoning for needing said referral. She was super nice and listened as I explained about my upcoming FET, blah blah blah. She agreed to refer me. So I stop by the referral desk to get it all activated and here is what my referral printout says (verbatim):

"29 y/o female with history of pcos and female infertility. Recently had a frozen embryo implanted through Willmac. Needs continuted f/u. Please evaluate and treat. Thank you"

Call me annoyingly anal about this but we do not have embryos implanted, we have them transferred to our fluffy uterus and pray to the tiny infant Jesus that they implant and stick around for 9 months, or at least long enough to produce a living breathing human being. I guess I always assumed that all medical professionals would see this obvious difference. Then again, I suppose I should just be thankful that she spelled embryo right. Cause she sure as hell didn't spell WOMACK right!

On a different note, I think I'm going to be having a giveaway soon, to celebrate my upcoming FET. And it will keep me occupied during the 2WW. I'll be announcing it soon so be on the lookout for it!

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Christa...I also have PCOS/Infertility and deal with the lovely military clinics and the wonderful "referrals" we have to endure for the sake of Tricare :D I never really had much trouble with my PCM's and referrals when we were at our last duty station but now that we have PCS'd I have issues here at our new base in Florida...we are AF. They are not wanting to refer me to an RE off base because they say they have someone in the OBGYN clinic that "knows all about infertility and is their specialit where infertility is concerned". Personally I want a Board Certified RE! After 5 years of working with an RE we got PG on our own while on our PSC induced break. All the cycles I did with my RE when we were stationed at our last base, I had low progesterone, so I knew that would be an issue so, after I actually got my BFP(1st one ever by the way)they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked to have my progesterone checked. I think I knew more about that then they did! They drew the blood and then they inform me it will be one week before the results are back. One week? I couldn't believe it...my RE always had the results the same day. While waiting that one week to see if I needed Progesterone, I miscarried, so I am not a very happy camper right now with our clinic at all.

    So I can totally relate to your Military clinic stories. Sometimes I wonder where they find some of these people who take care of us???!!! Anyway, Just know I am praying for you guys and I hope your referral goes well. Will be sending lots of Sticky Dust your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope hope hope (and pray) that your two weeks post FET flies by and has a very happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had to experience a military clinic - and it sounds like I should be glad for that! But, in all fairness, some non-military clinics are no better. I'm hoping that this referral will get you to someone and somewhere that is caring, sympathetic, and knowledgable enough to know the difference between transfer and implant!

    ReplyDelete