Friday, August 12, 2011

Fearlessly Frugal Strikes Again

Brandon and I have slowly been acquiring some baby stuff, making a list of things we need to have before bringing home a baby. And some people may think we're jumping the gun (like my co-workers) but I can't resist a good sale, or a good coupon. Besides, I don't want to go through adoption and get The Call with only a few days or weeks to prepare for a baby's arrival. I'd rather do my research and buy all the things I want on sale rather than whatever happens to be in stock.

So this week I got a coupon in the mail for JCPenney, $10 off a purchase of $10 or more. I intended on just spending $10 and getting my item for free but Brandon liked a 5-pack of bibs which were $13.99 so we got them instead for just $4. Still, I saved over 70% so the purchase was worth it to me.

And then Babies R Us had a coupon in the Sunday paper this week for $20 off stollers or travel systems. This is a big purchase for us and we didn't plan on buying a travel system for another couple months but I couldn't pass this up if we could find a stroller we really liked. So we went shopping and picked out this awesome travel system.
It's the Safety 1st Aerolite Sport Travel System. The travel system that Brandon originally picked out was $279.99 and was also Safety 1st brand but after looking through more strollers I found this one which was only $189.99. After our 20% discount we only paid $152.99 (we don't pay tax on certain items in CT). Can't beat that!!! We're going to keep it in the box for a while and hang on to the receipt, just in case we find a better stroller or a better sale.

THEN I went to Target. I had a Target coupon for $1 off a 2- to 6-pack of Gerber onesies, which I coupled with a Gerber manufacturer coupon I printed off the internet. So I got a $9.99 3-pack of onesies for $7.99. I also had a Target coupon for $2 off two Johnson and Johnson products, which I also coupled with a manufacturer coupon. I got one 4 oz. bottle of the bedtime lotion and one 4 oz. bottle of the bedtime bath, both which came with a free bonus 2 oz bottle attached to it. Each was priced at $2.99 but with my $4 in coupons I only paid a total of $1.98. What a great deal!

I'm thinking that I'm going to be taking advantage of a lot of sales for Black Friday this year. I hope that over the next 6 months I'll have enough baby stuff stocked up which I've paid next to nothing for.

I love coupons.

3 comments:

  1. After all the crap you have been through, you should happily buy some baby stuff! You might as well be prepared, especially if you can get a good deal. I think the stroller combo is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that some Jo Ann Crafts stores carry Gerber onesies and if you sign up for their mailing list you can get 40-50% off coupons. I embroidery onesies and always buy mine with a coupon there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know how you feel. We were like that too, and it paid off in the end. When you get the call you can barely see straight, forget stay focused enough to gather all the gear!

    ReplyDelete