Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Missing Ireland

Let’s take a moment from the reality that is about befall me tomorrow during my beta testing and talk about Ireland. Brandon and I have been many places together: Peru, Mexico, British Columbia, Ireland and (I think) 42 out of the 50 states. I’ve always held the belief that I would never choose to go to the same place twice while on vacation, mostly because if I’m going to take a vacation (particularly an expensive one or one overseas) I don’t want to waste my two precious weeks in a place I’ve already been to. Peru almost changed my mind about that. Brandon and I fell in love with the Amazon, the wilderness, the food, the sounds, the animals, and the nights that were so dark you literally couldn’t see your hand in front of your face. The fact that I didn’t come across a single snake or spider probably helped preserve those good memories of Peru.

But Ireland was different, so much different than any vacation or experience I’ve ever had. It was what I wish my trip to Peru had been: life-changing. It wasn’t anything in particular, but instead was the whole thing. It was the people, the food, the adventure, the scenery, the drinks, and the bonding time that I got with Brandon. Every moment in Ireland was the best moment of my life.

It’s been 4 months since we got back and not a week goes by that I don’t think about the Emerald Isle. I’ve never missed a country as much as I miss Ireland and I yearn for the chance to go back and live there someday.

These aren’t just words either. Brandon and I have been planning for some time to eventually move to Europe. Not anytime soon, we would probably be in our 50’s by the time we get around to doing it. And maybe not forever, maybe just for 5 or 10 years. You see, Brandon wants to be a scientist. He wants to eventually get his PhD in math or physics and get a research grant, preferably on something to do with the origins of the universe (kinda like Stephen Hawking). He feels that once he gets his PhD, we could move to Europe where he can set his own schedule doing research. But since the research grants only last for a few years, he would either have to keep getting grants or we’d have to eventually move back to the US. I don’t think we could afford to retire in Europe.

I’m totally supportive of his dream, except that he’s wanting to move to Switzerland, where he says all the good research companies are. I’m not too keen on learning a new language (German) at the age of 50. I know many Swiss do speak some English but if I’m going to live in their country I can’t expect them to accommodate me all the time by speaking it. I, on the other hand, would rather move to a primarily English-speaking country like the U.K., Scotland or Ireland…especially Ireland. I did tell Brandon that I’d give Switzerland a “try”, meaning I would at least visit the country for a couple weeks before saying no. But it’s got tough competition compared to Ireland. Brandon argues that we’re going to move wherever he gets a job but with a PhD I’m sure that won’t be hard. Besides, if he gets a research grant he could work practically anywhere, right? After all, his brain is pretty portable.

**At this point the post turns political. Skip to the last paragraph if you’re not open-minded or respectful when it comes to politics or people whose views are different than yours.**

We have other reasons for wanting to move to Europe, most of them dealing with politics. I don’t talk about politics on this blog much, but I just feel that the America that exists today is not the America that I once loved. It’s almost like the America I love is nothing more than a dream. There was once a time when a foreigner could come to America, work hard, and make a life for his family. There was once a time when the voice of the American people was heard. That time is long gone. Now the government belongs to the highest bidder, corporations with the biggest wallets and the loudest mouths (and that’s coming from someone who works for a GIANT corporation). The politicians don’t care about the average American because the average American didn’t pay to get them in office. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the middle class are eventually shoved into one group or the other. It just doesn’t seem right to me anymore.

In a nutshell, I believe that with greater wealth comes greater responsibility to society. Call us Social.ists if you like, it won’t hurt my feelings, and I realize these words may cause me to lose many followers. Yes, we both believe in socialized healthcare and socialized retirement. In fact, the US is one of the only developed countries that doesn’t have socialized healthcare. We believe in the welfare system. My mom was on welfare when I was a toddler. It helped her when she needed it most and for that I am grateful. And yes, Ireland isn’t exactly gleaming in comparison to the US. They have a shitty unemployment rate right now, but they’re doing quite a few things right. For example, vehicles aren’t taxed annually based on their value, like they are in many states in the US. They’re taxed based on the engine size and CO2 emissions. It sounds so ingenious but really it’s just plain common sense. After all, why should a person pay more property taxes on a new hybrid car than an old beat-up truck that gets 8mpg? Where’s the incentive to go green in a situation like that?

Well, anyway, those are my views and I’m just stating them, not trying to start a debate in my comments box. I don’t shout them from the rooftops on my blog, though I’ve been known to voice my opinion on Facebook a bit, which has lost me quite a few friends on there as well. C’est la vie.

So maybe in the far and distant future (like 5 or 10 years) Brandon and I will take a nice vacation to Switzerland. And maybe we’ll even move there. But I have a feeling my heart will always be in Ireland.

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your plans to move abroad. It truly is an awesome experience and one I don't take for granted. I know I was very lucky for my experience. I know your potential move is quite a few years away, but please remember that living somewhere and vacationing somewhere are two totally different things. If the US government frustrates you, then the Irish government will make your head spin. The only government in the world that is more corrupt is Italy, and they have the mafia. Of course this corruption trickles down into all things that make up the Irish society (education, employment, healthcare, etc). There are a lot of wonderful things about Ireland, but living there is really hard work. Ireland doesn't have socialized healthcare for everyone. We had to pay for health insurance. And as for cars, the taxes might be cheaper, but you'll pay double what you'll pay for an identical car in the US. And all goods are taxed 21%. Before I moved there my husband would tell me things and I always brushed it off as him being cynical about his country. I learned quickly that he was telling me the truth. In fact I told him to stop reading stories to me from the Irish Times because it was all so frustrating. That being said, I would tell someone to visit Ireland in a heartbeat. It's a wonderful place to visit - it's beautiful, the history is amazing, and the Irish people you'll encounter are really lovely.

    Now, I'll get off MY soapbox! Sorry to hijack your comments, but now that I'm back in the US I get a lot of comments about how awesome it must have been to live in Ireland and why would we ever want to leave. It's a lot more complicated than what people realize. I say get good paying jobs in America and visit Ireland as often as possible! It's a quick flight from the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to Ireland, but I LOVED Switzerland when I visited Europe in college. And almost everybody spoke English. Of all the places we traveled (I was on a choir tour), Switzerland was by far the most beautiful place I've ever been. If we ever get a chance, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will come visit you when you move to Europe!!! What an exciting plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so very true! I agree with everything you say. I government is so messed up. It is scary the way America is going. There are so many issues and I think you brought up some good ones.

    ReplyDelete