Monday, February 28, 2011

Too Little Too Late?

I must confess that after getting my most recent BFN, not only did I start thinking about our next FET AND adoption, but I started considering other options as well. Options like clinical trials. I found one in New Jersey that will be studying the effects of in vitro maturation on PCOS patients. For those of you who don't know, in vitro maturation involves retrieving the eggs before they are mature, letting them mature outside the body in a petri dish, then fertilizing and transferring just like a regular IVF cycle. Their theory is that in vitro maturation is better for PCOS patients because we have crusty eggs that have been sitting in our ovaries waiting to ovulate for forever. However, the previous studies I researched showed a fairly low pregnancy rate. Like 10%, almost comparable to an IUI. But I also read that the patients usually produced a high number of high quality embryos too. Nevertheless, free IVF kept ringing in my ears so I emailed the contact person. I heard back once asking about my history and never heard back again so I figured I didn't qualify. I put the thought out of my head and didn't worry about it again.

And then I got an email from them today. They were asking for my infertility records and mailing address to send out their consent form. And I thought to myself "Do I really want to go through this again?". After getting this last BFN, I'm very ready for my infertility journey to be over. Had this opportunity came up a year ago I would have jumped at the opportunity but now I'm questioning whether it's worth it. But I'm not the same person I was a year ago. That woman doesn't exist anymore but I can still hear her voice screaming "Are you fucking kidding me?! Take the opportunity damnit!"

I emailed Dr. P for his professional opinion about IVM and I'm waiting to hear back from him but honestly, I'm just not feelin it. I know it's like a once-in-a-lifetime thing that I should be taking advantage of but I'm just spent. I'm tired of the injections and the daily visits with my vagina, who has gotten more action during my last FET than all my college years combined. I'm tired of the BFN's. Even if I do get one from a cycle that's completely free it wouldn't take away the disappointment and heartache.

I'm just ready to be a parent. So if you're listening God, do whatever you have to do to please make that happen. Move some mountains, part some waters, just please give me a child.

Oh, and I hope everyone likes the new organizing I did to my blogroll. I will be adding new infertility and adoption blogs this week. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I have POF, Primary Ovarian Failure and started menapause at 19. I have visited so many doctors and tried things and prayed and all that jazz for 11 years... humoring my husband for the past 4 years. My chances of pregnancy are less than 5%... I know this.
    My best advice, given by my most recent vagina doctor, is this: Know your limits and stick to them... just like Vegas. Only YOU know when you have reached that limit but you have to set one or you will bne chasing this forever.
    I am an adoptive mother and we are adopting again... I am a heart mom and thats ok, doesn't make me any liess of a mom. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shana...only you know your limit. Some peoples comes before IVF, some 5 cycles later. It is interesting though that if the embryos are of such good quality, why is the pregnancy rate so low?
    I hope, no matter what you decide to do, you are comfortable with it. IF is full of choices. I feel like I am looking at 5 closed doors and someone is taunting me to pick one...just one. Which one is right? What if I open it and I don't like what I see, can't I close it and pick another? You have to follow your gut and more importantly your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish this could be easier and oh how I wish the answers to all of our questions could be answered and come much easier.

    I agree with the previous posters - only you are going to know your limits.

    I am thinking about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like promising research but you are right that it is so draining and free doesn't make disappointment any easier.
    Best wishes to you in making these choices and I do think God is listening:]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always scared that if we didn't do everything we could do in the time we had to do it.... that I would have regrets. I hate having regrets. We decided to do all we could until we were told it was just not worth it. Only you know when that time has come. My DH wanted to call it quits a lot sooner than I did. I felt the payoff was too good to walk away from. It took three years and a lot of freaking heartache, needles and $$... once we got pregnant we never regretted a moment of it. I hope you do what's right for you and have NO REGRETS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christa, I think that the very fact that you are looking into options means you are certainly not ready to give up. Whether you are ready to go through the rollercoaster of cycling again right now is a different story. I think I mentioned to you in the past, that after every failed cycle (I had a good few of my own) I was always going through the phase of "I cannot do this again". But I think the desire of being a mother was just too strong. Keep your options open, you'll know which one is the one to follow. Love, Fran

    ps: love the reorganised blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a hard decision. Go with what your heart tells you! It will lead you in the right direction! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Fran - also you know when you're ready to move on and it sounds like you're still interested in trying. I hope so much for success for you, in whatever avenue you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only you know your limits, it's true.

    Someone put it to me this way, and it stuck "the pain of continuing treatments was greater than the pain of stopping."

    I hate that we need to be put it into this position, but I also can say once I made my decision, there was no turning back and I found a lot of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have definitely felt this way lately. I'm honestly not sure what I would do if an opportunity like that landed in front of me right now. Just follow your heart lady... it won't let you down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It may take some time for you to figure out what you want to do. It took a little while for me to say "ok that's it, no more". And I never ever second guess that and would only try treatments again if for some reason we couldn't adopt. But it's different for everyone so just take some time and figure out what you want to do. ((hugs))

    Also cracked me up when you said "old crusty eggs", lol.

    ReplyDelete