Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Game Plan

Ladies (and possibly gentlemen, I don't know who reads my blog) I think we have it all figured out. Maybe. As in I think we may have settled on an agency. I'm not going to say the name outright on this blog because I'm sure someone will Google it and I really don't plan on making this a private blog during the adoption process so I will just link the agency's website here. I've spoken to a couple blog writers who went through this agency and had good things to say about them (if you have personal experience with them, good or bad, that you would like to offer, please email me!). The downside is that they are really expensive. I'm talking how-in-the-world-did-I-let-my-emotions-talk-me-into-spending-this-much-money expensive. It's looks like our $30K budget will easily balloon to about $38K and while I'm not happy about that, I am happy about other aspects. Things like 1) they have a very low disruption rate (where the mother changes her mind and decides to parent) 2) their wait time is generally very short and 3) they are a national agency and can work with us if we move while we're still waiting to be matched. I also checked with this agency but unfortunately they aren't licensed for the state of CT. We didn't look at lawyers because I think I remember reading somewhere that in CT you must adopt through an agency, you cannot use lawyers. I may be wrong but I don't really care because I'd prefer to go through an agency anyway.

So this agency requires a $200 application fee, at which point they will send us the Big Packet to fill out, along with getting profile pictures and other documentation together. This is what we plan on working on during the next few months while we go through our FET(s). We know it will take a while so we want to get started on it now.

And speaking of FET's, our next one will take place in April now. I really didn't want to wait until June to go through another one, I can't stand the huge waiting periods we've had between our past cycles and I'm ready for this infertility journey to be over. Whether we get pregnant or adopt, I'm just ready to stop trying to fix my broken body and make it do something it clearly doesn't want to do on its own. It's probably one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to deal with. So I emailed Nurse D and she said they can squeeze me in in April. Since my period came on Feb 13th, I'm going to wait and see if it shows up on its own. If it doesn't show up by March 13th then I'll call Nurse D for some Provera and we'll get the ball rolling. However if my calculations are correct, I might have to cancel the cycle if I have to take Provera because that would likely push me back into a May transfer and that's cutting it a little too close to our vacation. But we'll have to see. If I have to cancel then it's no biggie. I'm going to start acupuncture this week, and really start busting my ass at the gym. I'd like to hit 190 lbs by Transfer Day which is easily attainable if I stick to my diet and exercise.

So that's the plan for now. Let's hope everything works out in April and that we waste $200 on an adoption application fee that we'll never need!

11 comments:

  1. I am happy you have a plan :) They always make me more at ease. If you don't mind me asking, was DH always on board with adoption? It is one of my fears that if I can't get pregs, C still will not want to adopt and that reality adds stress and sadness.
    Again, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful game plan!!!! I have never seriously looked into adoption yet, but that price scared me...big time! But, it really sounds like you are happy whichever way God intends for you to become a mom. I still will hold onto hope that your April FET brings you your little miracle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to have a plan. I wish you well!! And I will continue to follow your blog and see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a game plan!! I'm sure that you are breathing a little easier knowing what some of your next steps are. Although, I'm with you in that I hope you waste $200 dollars on the application fee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great to have a plan. sounds like you have got yourself sorted. one way or another it will all end great. good luck with it all

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used that agency. We now have our son P as is documented on my blog (http://unexpectedlifeevents.blogspot.com). I did just end my blog because of wanting some privacy after everything, but please email me about the agency and the process. I have gone through it all with them (disruptions and such), have a good friend who also went through them, and currently know of two others considering them. They are expensive but trust me they earn every penny. The amount of heartache they saved us, we didn't have to do anything, we got every penny back after disruptions, on and on and on. Email me and I'll be glad to help you out if you want. Trust me when I say they are the best. Hopefully you'll never have to use them ;) but we did tons of research and they were outstanding. My email is twodogmama@gmail.com Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great game plan! I am happy that you found an agency you are happy with. Just sucks that it is so expensive. I have a really good feeling on this next FET for you! I don't think you will be drinking on your vacation to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are using the same agency we are! We are in Phase 2, so working on the home study (barely just starting.) So exicted to see someone else starting too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, FYI, I changed my blog address to:
    http://alittleblogaboutthebiginfertility.blogspot.com

    And I have also started a blog (password protected) about the adoption process. Feel free to send me an email at jesstutt (at) gmail (dot) com if you'd like to follow an adoption blog with your agency. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so, so glad you guys have made a decision! Moving forward is scary, bug having a plan is always a relief :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are going to do a few more TTC attempts and prob move on to adoption. I've been researching and have a few friends that have adopted. Going through an agency is more expensive. I want to try an independent adoption w/a lawyer b/c it can save you tonnnssss. I'm attaching a website that answered alot of my questions.

    http://www.theadoptionguide.com/options/domestic-adoption

    ReplyDelete