Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Rough Week

This has been a pretty tough week for my weight loss and on the fertility front. I did so well last week despite my office Christmas party and a big Christmas dinner because those were just meals. But this week my dad came to visit for 3 days. And I pretty much fell off the bandwagon all three days as he insisted on going out to eat for almost every meal. I did manage to cook a turkey dinner for him one night though. And I even went to see that personal trainer! Except his free one-hour workout was nothing more than 15 minutes of exercise and over an hour of sales pitches. $180 a month for a personal trainer once a week? No thank you! And their focus is building muscle (because every pound of muscle burns 50 calories, blah blah blah). I'm not really interested in that right now. I just want to get in shape, not bulk up like She-Woman.

So yesterday Brandon and I both got back on our diets and we went out and bought a nice new scale. This scale not only measures weight but also body fat and body water percentages. So this morning my old scale weighed me in at 202.2...a gain. But my new scale weighed me in at 201.2....a loss of .1 pound. So I logged the weight from the new scale, but only since it's the one I'm going to be using from now on. Did I really have a weight loss this week? I doubt it, but I kind figured this thing would happen if I changed scales. Oh well.

On the fertility front I still haven't gotten my period and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I took my last Provera pill last Tuesday and AF still hasn't shown up. My baseline is Wednesday and I'm scheduled to start Lupron on Friday! And I stop bcp's next Monday so now I'm wondering if Nurse D will just have me do a natural cycle without the bcp's. That makes sense because even if I got my period today, I wouldn't start the bcp's till Tuesday (CD3) so I would be taking them for only 7 days before quitting. Seems pointless to me. I just hope I don't get told that I have to postpone this till next month. I've already bought my plane tickets.

I've been a little indifferent to this upcoming cycle, not because I don't think I'll get pregnant but because during my last two IVF's I had expectations and always ended up disappointed. The first time I wanted 8 embryos (2 to transfer, 6 to freeze). I got four. The second time I was so excited to have 18 eggs retrieved but extremely disappointed that only 10 were mature. I ended up with 7 embryos. So now we've got 7 embryos on ice. I think they're all 4-5 cells, grade 1-2. They're not perfect, I know that. So the big question is "How many will make it?" How many will we have to thaw in order to get 2 good embryos? I don't know and I'm not going to speculate because that would be setting expectations and I'll probably just get disappointed. If they have to that all 7 just to get 2 embryos then that's how it is. I've been so much more relaxed ever since Brandon and I had the adoption talk and we agreed that we would go down that road if these FET's didn't work out. I'm not calling it my back-up plan or anything but it makes me feel better knowing that we will have a child someday, whether it's through fertility treatment or adoption. And the great thing about the whole situation is that it really doesn't matter to us which it is: adoption or pregnancy. A baby is a baby. I just hope that whatever path we take doesn't lead to more heartache.

And lastly, please take the time to stop by Jenn's blog. After going to the hospital for the birthmom's induction and seeing her beautiful boy, she was devastated to learn that the mom decided to parent the baby. My heart breaks for her.

6 comments:

  1. oh..The last part of the post..hit me hard! that is so horrible when that happens..I am going to check out Jenn's blog...I saw my neighbor go through this process of losing her adoption child..I was 11, and I had never seen a women so depressed. It was very sad to see at 11. Okay- it is the new year..I have to lose weight too!!..Let's motivate each other..ahhh!! it is so hard isn't it..all these temptations and peer pressure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with this FET, esp with plane tickets already purchased! :) I'm really hoping for you guys!

    Nurse D and Dr P are so awesome! I live in Fay, so if you need anything while you are here, hit me up!

    I'm getting put on the Jan 2012 IVF schedule. We might try another IUI or 2 once DH gets home from deployment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a tough at the best of times to stick to a weight loss program, let alone over the holiday season. Like you I was doing well until the round of visitors started... Boo!

    Sending you best wishes for the FET!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with the weight loss and the rest of your treatment. I keep reading about Birth control pills for IVF, im confused, I will be starting my first round soon. why do they put you on bcp's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to be your FET cheerleader. I had little faith in FETs too and we only had three frozen embryos and only two made the thaw. We put those two in and lo and behold here I sit at 39 weeks 5 days so pregnant with one healthy baby that I am actually considering giving him an eviction notice through induction. Best of luck to you with your FET!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It only takes one and sometimes those stubborn slow ones beat the better ones by transfer!! I am new to your story and wanted to wish you luck this month!!

    ReplyDelete