Monday, January 10, 2011

It's Time to Start "The Ritual"

I usually don't have rituals, not even around the holidays. Brandon and I try to start our own family rituals but we don't seem to be very consistent with them. But there is one ritual that I started for myself during my first IVF cycle.

I read Harry Potter.

Many of you know I'm a huge Harry Potter fan (don't believe me? Just check out my incredibly awesome Christmas present). It actually wasn't until recently that I became such a fan. I think I saw my first Harry Potter movie when the 3rd or 4th movies were already out on video. I thought to myself "Man, these must be popular" so I rented all of them and had a Harry Potter movie marathon. From then on I was hooked, but only on the movies. I never bothered picking up a book until I saw the Half Blood Prince in the movie theatre. There was no way I was going to wait to find out what happened. I borrowed a friend's book of The Deathly Hallows, skimmed the back to find out what happens at the end (spoiler, I know), then went back and read the book. But there were a lot of things that didn't make sense. I didn't remember everyone's name, I only recognized their faces in the movie. Who was Tonks again? And Lavender, was she in any of the movies I saw? So I knew I would have to start from the beginning.

I bought the whole set of Harry Potter books and right before my first IVF cycle I started reading them. I brought a few with me to Womack and read while I was sitting in my room at the Fisher House. The books were even better than the movie! It took a few months to finish all the books and by then I had gotten pregnant and had my miscarriage.

And then it was time for IVF #2. Again I brought Harry Potter with me and enjoyed reading the stories. For me it was more relaxing than acupuncture or meditation. It sucked that my second IVF was a BFN but I still plowed through my HP books until I finished the last one.

Now tonight I'm starting on HP book #1, gearing up for my FET. This cycle will be short compared to my fresh cycles. I'll only be in NC for two nights, not two weeks so most of my HP reading will be done before and after the cycle. But because Harry Potter has become my IVF ritual I'm going to keep the habit going by reading all 7 books, no matter what the outcome of my FET is.

What about you? Do you have any rituals or good luck charms for your fertility treatments?

8 comments:

  1. We haven't done IVF or FET yet - but a comment about the HP and the books... I never read them until I saw The Order of the Phoenix... the Deathly Hollows came out a month after that movie. So I borrowed Half-Blood Prince from a friend and read that just in time to buy the Deathly Hollows. I'm slowly buying the rest of the books - they will be around for a long time (popularity!) I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen an entire HP movie through yet, but I ADORE the books. I didn't really have a ritual...never got that far, thank goodness. Good luck sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh with my first {and only fresh cycle} I listened to a meditation CD nights, wrote in my journal, now blog and talk to my uterus and 'will it' to hold on to those babies tight. We are doing a FET cycle currently (in nc as well) and its onward with routine and hope!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just trying to make it through the IVF cycle so no real routine yet other than blogging.
    I can say that I lurve HP and have since my Sophomore year of college when I bought the original on VHS. Yep, no DVD for me back then.
    But when I had a miscarriage back in March '09 I was beyond devastated and all things Twilight got me through that as well as the rest of the year. I would have to say that Twilight kept me sane for about 7 months.

    Good luck and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My rituals involved purchasing new "transfer" socks, eating lots of curly fries without feeling guilty and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes -- I have a locket with a long chain, and I put the embryo picture in there during my cycle. It's a sweet, comforting reminder of what's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. About to start my first IVF cycle and my plan is to do anything that provides a mental distraction & stress relief...reading, blogging, tv, dog-petting and maybe a 'take to the beach' magazine selection or two. Good luck on the upcoming FET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about to start my first FET, after a failed IVF cycle last year and I must admit that now the transfer time is starting to get closer I'm getting all my Entourage and HP DVDs together like last time. So that's probably my ritual! Good luck with your FET!!!

    ReplyDelete