Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Adoption Talk: Part Two

I got a few responses and talked to a few adoption bloggers and wanted to clear up some things about our adoption talk. First, I've been having a somewhat difficult time finding an agency that is licensed for the state of Connecticut that isn't religiously affiliated. Though I'm Christian (Lutheran), Brandon is not. In fact, he doesn't believe in God so that pretty much rules out our ability to go with a Christian agency (though Lutheran Social Services doesn't specifically say you have to be Christan). And unfortunately we cannot use a lawyer due to Connecticut's laws. So we're stuck with very few choices and I can only hope to find someone who has had a positive experience with the adoption agencies we're limited to.

Another issue was that many people said that their company does not offer adoption benefits nor have they ever heard of a company offering adoption benefits. This article from Conceive Magazine lists the top 50 companies in the US for adoption and infertility benefits from 2009. Not wanting to ruin my chances for a job, I won't say which company I'm hoping to get hired on with but I will say it's a banking/financial group that's listed in the top 10 whose headquarters is located in or around the Providence, Rhode Island area :) It would mean a career change with much lesser pay than what I'm accustomed to but it's proven to be very hard to find a job in my field up here that isn't an hour away. Anyway, I thought I would pass along the info to anyone looking for a job that has these benefits.

4 comments:

  1. I live in MA. You don't need to go through an agency. All you need is a facilitator. I am using AdoptHelp in CA. And I pay someone else seperatly in MA to provide us with a homestudy. We are now just waiting to be matched with a birth mother. If you have any questions please feel free to email me ashely929 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that although my company does not offer adoption benefits (I work for local school district) my husband's company, US Bank, gives us $3000 towards adoption expenses. It is not much in our grand scheme of things, but ever little bit helps considering they pay nothing for infertility treatments. Also I did call Lutheran Family Services here in MO, because I heard the same thing about not being Christian, but the woman here told me we had to specifically be Lutheran. (My husband does not believe in God either). I'm going to check out that article. Thanks for posting it and if you have anymore questions you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa- I am also seriously considering this option as well. I will be interested to see the information you pursue over the next few weeks. We are born and baptized Christians but don't really practice, so I am not sure how it will affect things.

    Good luck and keep in touch-
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I had this brain wave as I was laying in bed last night. What state are you a resident of? We live in SC but we're WA state residents, so WA state law applies to us when we go to adopt. If you live in Connecticut but are residents of another state, you may be able to use the other state's laws in adoption. It's worth a shot. WA state allows private agency, public agency, and individual adoptions (using just a lawyer).

    ReplyDelete