Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ireland: The Finalized Itinerary

Only 108 days till we leave for Ireland! I'm so very very excited (cue the Snoopy dance). I booked our plane tickets yesterday and while I didn't get them for under $600 like I wanted (they were $635) I did end up getting a nonstop flight which is pretty awesome. That just makes our trip about 6 hours instead of 12-21 hours with layover flights.

Quite a few things changed from my last Ireland itinerary post so I'm going to share the new one with you here, links and all. And of course it's just as detailed as the last, after doing countless hours of research and getting made fun of by the hubby. Some of the activities I have listed are questionable only because if I get pregnant I probably won't be able to do them (and our budget might be stretched a little thin if we do them all). So for those activities I put a question mark.

Unfortunately County Sligo had to be knocked off the end of the trip. Brandon and I wanted to stay at two castles, the Ballynahinch (how in the world do you pronounce that?) and the Markree Castle but the Markree is booked for two weddings during our trip and the place is full. Since staying there was half the reason we were traveling so far north to Co. Sligo (seeing BenBulben was the other half) we decided to skip that part of the trip and stay an extra night at the Ballynahinch. It's okay because it gives us more time to relax and less time on the road. So without further ado.......our itinerary!

Thursday May 19th- Arrive in Dublin at approx 5:45 am. Take the Dublin bus tour (visiting Dublin Castle, St Patrick's Cathedral, and Molly Malone Statue). Eat at La Maison. Stay overnight at the Temple Bar hotel (or another hotel close to the City Centre).

Friday May 20th- Pick up rental car. Leave at 8 am for Kilkenny. Arrive at 10 am. Visit Kilkenny Castle and shop. Stay overnight at Carriglea B&B.

Saturday May 21st- Leave at 9 am for Kinsale, stopping to see the Rock of Cashel on the way. Arrive to Kinsale around 1 pm. Take a Kinsale Heritage Walking Tour? at 3 pm. Stay overnight at the Landfall House.

Sunday May 22nd- Leave at 7 am for Killarney. Arrive at 9 am. Visit Ross Castle and Muckross House (rent bicycles for the day?).

Monday May 23rd- Leave at 7 am to travel the Ring of Kerry. Arrive around 4 pm in Dingle. Visit O'Flaherty's pub. Stay overnight at the Seaside Haven.

Tuesday May 24th- Travel the Slea Head Drive loop in Dingle. Go horseback riding? Eat at An Canteen. Stay another night at the Seaside Haven.

Wednesday May 25th- Leave at 7 am for Doolin via Connor Pass. Arrive at noon. Visit the Cliffs of Moher, take a 1 hour boat cruise? Eat at Cullinan's and visit O'Connor's pub. Stay overnight at Daly's House.

Thursday May 26th- Leave at 9 am for Galway. Arrive at 11am. Take a walking tour or ride the Corrib Princess. Trad on the Prom dinner and show starting at 7 pm. Stay overnight at Amber Hill B&B.

Friday May 27th- Leave at 11 am for Letterfrack. Arrive at 1 pm. Visit Kylemore Abbey and drive the Connemara loop. Stay overnight at the Ballynahinch Castle in Recess.

Saturday May 28th- Leisurely day walking the castle grounds (there's 450 acres of it). Horseback riding(?) or go back to Galway for some shopping at the Saturday market. Stay another night at the Ballynahinch.

Sunday May 29th- Leave at 7 am for Dublin. Arrive at noon. Shop at Cow's Lane near Temple Bar. Stay overnight at the Temple Bar hotel.

Monday May 30th- Leave at 11 am for home.

The next few weeks will be spent booking all the lodging and activities. So far I've only booked the Ballynahinch, Trad on the Prom, and our plane tickets. Some of this stuff we won't book in advance because there's really no need. We also plan to get the Heritage Card so the admission to most of the castles and stuff will be free.

I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Christa, I had to chuckle at your itinerary because it's just my kind of trip! My hubby, on the other hand, would rather just stay in one or two places and sleep a lot. Every time we set up a trip, he rolls his eyes and says "So how many EXCURSIONS are you booking, this time?" We did Scotland a couple years ago, and I loved it. He grumbled about all the "riding on buses every day" but has since been overheard bragging to friends about all the places he's seen. :)

    Looks like a fantastic trip to Ireland! I'm going to note this post to come back to some day when we can go - a little jealous!

    Kim @ www.americanmamacita.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're in Dublin, don't miss Kilmainham Gaol. It's an amazing tour, even my Irish-historian husband thinks so (and he's picky)! :) It's one of the stops on the Dublin bus tour. Dublin Castle, St Patrick's Cathedral, and Molly Malone are all within easy walking distance of each other, so don't waste time waiting around for the bus to pick you up! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sound fabulous! I hope you guys enjoy it! But, how could you not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing trip! I have never been to Europe but would so love to go, Ireland especially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the itinerary!! And the changes you made make a lot of sense my friend. It's fairly packed with fantastic things to see, you are going to love it. I bet the west of Ireland is what will take your breath away. I think Temple Bar hotel will be absolutely fine for your stay in Dublin, right in the city centre and has very good reviews! There's plenty of time but if you want you can email me closer to the time and I'll be very happy to give you my mobile number just in case! Much love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG take me with you!!! LOL. I'm so insanely jealous! So exciting! Really must get our passports sorted just in case. Have fun finishing up plans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to have such a great trip! I can't believe it's so close already!!! I want to go with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing! I love that you are a fellow researcher like me. You did give me a few more places to check out though! Are you or your husband into beer? Smithwick's is in Kilkenny. My husband asked me to add that to our itinerary.

    Based on my tentative itinerary - I hope to firm more up this next week - I think we're going to be in Galway at the same time! How crazy is that!?

    I hope that you guys have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an inspiration. I've nominated you for a blog award! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just come across your blog and wanted to comment on two things...
    1. Best of luck on your current cycle. I so hope that this is the one!
    2. If you can at all swing it... try and work a stop at Newgrange into your intinerary. I went to Ireland for about 10 days a couple of years ago and our stop at Newgrange was seriously one of the highlights. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh please take pictures so we can all live vicariously through you:) I went to Scotland a fews years back and I will never forget the awesome castles I walked through and green fields and the so many sheep that were everywhere. The beer..so good and the tea time as well were just as special. I am so excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remarkable! I feel affection for that you are a fellow examiner like me. You did give me a few more places to vacate though!

    ------------
    Ireland hotels

    ReplyDelete