Monday, May 17, 2010

Trip Across America: Part Two

Man, what a week. On the way to Pennsylvania we called the apartment complex to confirm our move-in date (today) and our address so we could set up the time for the movers to come. The lady at the complex said everything was still the same so we scheduled the movers to arrive tomorrow. We made it to my dad's house on Thursday and received a call that night that our apartment will NOT be ready today due to new carpet being installed. Instead we can move in tomorrow at 4:30 pm. I was a bit pissed. We had to call the movers back to reschedule and stay in a hotel an extra day. Its pretty inconvenient for us. Not only that but I decided to research this apartment complex a little more. I tried finding some reviews of the complex but couldn't find any. After digging a little deeper I found that this apartment complex was under a different name 3 years ago. On the Apartment Ratings website there were 14 reviews under the old complex name. No one recommended this place. I started freaking out. Brandon said not to worry about it, that the most recent review was back in 2007 and alot can change between then and now. Still, I'm pretty nervous about moving into this place. I know I should have done all this before we planned to live here but we only had about 3 apartments to choose from that had 3 bedrooms. I can only hope its not as bad as I think it will be.

Other than that, the trip has been great so far. My grandmother showed us her paintings that are displayed in a local art gallery. My dad kicked our butts at bowling and Skip-Bo, and Brandon and I butchered a song during karaoke night. I would post the video but the lyrics are a bit explicit and I wouldn't want to offend anyone. The song was "I'm on a Boat" by The Lonely Island. It was sort of a joke because Brandon's in the Navy and he thinks of it as the submariner's theme song.

Yesterday we said goodbye to my family and went to Gettysburg. We had our picture taken in Civil War Era clothing and they even let Oso be in the picture. It turned out AWESOME! Except my elbow was sticking a little too far out but I always pick apart my pictures. The photos were taken by Victorian Photo Studio and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who visits Gettysburg. We may even go back for another picture to send out as our Christmas cards. We also took a self-driving tour of the battlefields of Gettysburg. To be honest, it was a bit boring. It's mostly grassy fields and memorials along the road. For me at least its hard to imagine a battle taking place where there is now farmland. I suppose I would have enjoyed it more if we had visited during a reenactment. Today we spent the day in Pennsylvania Dutch country and visited some Amish stores. We took a buggy ride to an Amish dairy farm and learned about how they live. I learned that the corn they grow is not sold but is used to feed the dairy cows and they sell the milk to Land o' Lakes. So if you ever eat Land o' Lakes products it comes from Amish country! All in all, it was a great day. I'm just not too sure about tomorrow. But don't forget to enter in my blogoversary giveaway, the drawing is Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. Aw, I don't live too far away from here! Love the civil war photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your stories and your pictures...I really enjoyed reading/looking. Hope the apartment turns out to be nice. LOVE the Civil War photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah...and your dog is freakin' adorable, especially in that pic where your husband is cuddling him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About the apartment, I am hoping you have a similar experience to us. When we got to Jersey, we could only find 2 complexes that took dogs, one of which was actually located in Pennsylvania and was EXPENSIVE. We decided on the NJ one even though it was near Trenton, a pretty freaky place. Everyone on base, including hubby's boss, thought we were total nuts, but the apartment turned out to be phenomenal. The neighborhood was old and developed and we would walk for ice cream in the summer evenings. Completely safe and beautiful to boot. I would totally move back, it was that good! Take heart, you may find that you love your new digs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the apartment turns out to be not that bad!! If only there was more people who reviewed it since not every one shares their thumbs up ratings.

    So nice hearing your adventure!! It's always fun to see the sites especially while moving across country. I wish we actually took the time to see some places when we went from GA to WA.

    ReplyDelete