Monday, May 10, 2010

I don't get it

I finally got a call from the doctor today. After spending hours without cell phone service while driving through BFE in Wyoming and South Dakota I was able to call him back. The tests they took two weeks ago all came back normal. The doc had no explanation for our miscarriage. I don't get it. I thought for sure I had a clotting disorder. With all the blood clots I had during my pregnancy, the fact that my feet always fall asleep due to my poor circulation, I thought the symptoms all matched up. But now I've got no more answers than I did two months ago. The doctor did suggest karotype testing, is that the same as the chromosome analysis? I hope to get the chromosome analysis and MTHFR test done in Groton but it will be about a month before I can get settled and organize that. Until then I suppose I'll just have to take the information for what it is and hope that our next IVF won't result in another miscarriage. Easier said than done.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't get the answers you were looking for. Karotyping will involve b/w for both of you and I'm not sure about the chromosome analysis (usually it's tissue testing). I'm glad you have a doctor who is willing to investigate the cause of your loss.

    (((HUGS))) I know this has been tough for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the answers you were looking for. I've had two miscarriages at 6w along (one before my son and one after) and the doctors here said I won't be tested unless I miscarry again. I know it's hard to hear - but some times there's no answers. There's many things that can cause a miscarriage and the biggest is a chromosomal issue. It doesn't make it any easier, that I do know... there's many of us who've had miscarriages with unexplained reasons and it sucks.

    I hope you find the answers you're looking for and you can heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. That must be SO frustrating! I hope you get some solid answers soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so frustrating. My Dr was not able to give us any answers either. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait - I am confused. What tests did they do if they found no blood-clotting disorders? MTHFR is part of the thromophilia panel that is all about blood-clotting, so if you haven't done this test (about 20 vials drawn!) then you still don't have all the info about what could be going on. When you get settled let's talk and go through all the tests you've done so you can see what still needs to be done. The chromosome tests are done with bloodwork also.
    Relax, enjoy the rest of your trip to your new home and know that we are all here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry there are no answers yet, but I do know how it feels. It's good in a way, but frustrating in another.

    ReplyDelete