Friday, April 16, 2010

Let the Weight Loss Begin!

It's Friday, Day 1 of my new weight loss quest. I'm feeling good about today, ready to hit the gym and burn off all this fat that's been clinging to my body for so many years. Unfortunately I completely forgot that tomorrow we're going to see the Mariners play the Detroit Tigers so I might skip the dieting tomorrow in exchange for some good ol' baseball stadium food. Its wrong of me, I know, but this is only the second professional sports game I've EVER been to. I'm going to take advantage of it. And it will also be our last outing in the Seattle area before we move.

Anyway, back to the weight loss. I'm starting out my quest at 195.6 lbs. My goal weight is 175 lbs by July 30th and 165 lbs by my IVF cycle in September. After that we'll see what happens based on the outcome of the IVF. My plan is to stick to a low calorie diet, starting out at 1,400 calories and eventually getting down to 1,200 calories. For roughly every 10 pounds you lose you should consume about 50 less calories per day. This is because you're not having to support that extra weight. So once I lose 10 pounds I will reduce my calorie intake to 1,350 and so on. When I'm done trying to lose weight then I'll increase my calories to maintain that current weight. I'm also taking the advice of some of my followers and cutting back on the carbs and dairy products. While I can't completely cut a food group out of my diet I can be more wise about what kind of carbs I do eat. This will be hard because I'm a major bread lover but I'll try to get all my carbs through fruit and whole grains.

I'm also going to start taking some vitamin supplements. Most of these I've taken before but only for a month at a time and it wasn't really consistent. This time I'll take them for the full 6 months leading up to our next IVF. They are:
Prenatal Vitamin
Metformin XR
Wheatgrass
Spirulina
Cinnamon (my nurse's suggestion to help with the male hormones)

My exercise plan is to work out 3-5 times per week. My normal routine consists of 10 minutes of cardio warm-up, about half an hour on the weight machines, and then about half an hour of cardio. My problem is that I usually do the same cardio every time (treadmill for the warm-up and elliptical for the cardio). So I'll need to start changing that up and doing the stair steppers and bikes every now and then.

I'm also very excited that I have some bloggie friends who are also trying to lose weight! Lynne just signed up for the Glycemic Index diet and Melissa is following a low carb diet so I can't wait to see how those turn out. I've also heard from other readers who have changed their dieting and got pregnant naturally so I'm very hopeful.

I'm taking a "Before" picture of myself tomorrow but won't post that until I have an "After" picture to compare it against. I don't want to scare anybody away! I'm thinking 4 weeks ought to be enough time to start seeing some results. So I'll probably post pictures every month. Wish me luck!!

10 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! Keep us informed of how it is going. It's nice to focus on keeping ourselves healthy between cycles, I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! It sounds like you've got a good plan to follow and I'm sure you'll see results in no time!

    Have a blast at the M's game and ENJOY that food! You don't get to eat that stuff very often. haha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of mixing up the cardio routine, I LOVE my Zumba class. I felt like a fool the first couple times I went because I have no rhythm, but once you start picking up some of the routines, it is so much fun! And such a great workout! (Especially if you keep thinking about keeping your abs tight during each dance.)

    I also do a weight lifting class that I love - it's Body Pump (Urban Iron at my gym) and it works each muscle group with barbells per song - so 2-3 minutes per group. It's an hour long, but makes weightlifting go by very quickly. Plus, it's like having a personal trainer instead of counting on yourself to actually do as many reps as you should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Trying to lose weight SUCKS! But just stick with it, try to mix things up, don't let yourself get bored with any foods or work-outs, and you should hopefully see results quickly! And remember, you'll probably feel it in your close before you notice the number on the scale moving too much. And that's what matters, is how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the plan! It really sounds a great one, we'll be here to cheer you on along the way! Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday started off as a good first weight in because I was able to finally get below the 170 mark!! So, I am super motivated! This initial weightloss was not by doing low carb...but by cutting my calories to around 1200 everyday. I don't mind eating the same thing everyday so once I planned my meals I knew what I was eating everyday except for dinner which I made healthy as well. I agree with you about bread lover and not cutting out a food group. I won't be either but I will be staying away from the simple carbs. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Christa,
    I've been a follower of your blog for some time but this is the first time I post. I feel very connected to your story because I too have PCOS, and am married to a military man. I'm really sorry about your miscarriage and I hope that God allows you to have a healthy child. WRT weight loss: I lost weight with the help of the Metformin XR, thyroid supplements (because I have thyroid issues) and a workout video called Insanity. Although made for advanced gym goers, I suggest you take a look at it since you can do the exercises at home if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the weight loss! It can be tough, but let us know when to help you fight temptation!

    I love Safeco Field! Too bad the Ms are not living up to the preseason hype. The food choices at the stadium make it hard to start the diet. I try to start on Mondays (from my Weight Watcher days). It makes it easier when you fall off the wagon to have the restart day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have a plan stan! Good luck with it all. I can't wait to see the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christa! The mobiles used to be available at the MoMA. They're all from the same designer (Flensted). I think right now they're only selling the elephant one. You can get them on amazon.com though. Here is the link for the hedgehog family:

    http://www.amazon.com/Flensted-Mobiles-Hedgehog-Family/dp/B001QABXAO/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3EAC425RL0O4U&colid=BU3SI1AOXREN

    Isn't it cute?

    ReplyDelete