Sunday, July 19, 2009

A very good and very bad weekend

This weekend Brandon and I made a trip to Mt Baker. We rented a nice cabin for two nights and planned on spending a romantic weekend away as an early birthday present before Brandon had to deploy for four months. Unfortunately we found out Thursday afternoon that Brandon would have to deploy on Sunday, almost a week earlier than we thought. Still, we decided to make the most of our trip and just leave at dawn on Sunday morning to be back in time for him to pack up and leave.

We got an early start on Friday and were out of the house by noon. Oso came with us, we thought he would like the trip more than staying in a kennel all weekend. He was so stoked to go for a ride and loved the ferry trip even though he stayed in the car the whole time. There were just so many smells to take in. We got to the rental office 10 minutes before they closed and picked up our keys. Our cabin was so awesome! I loved the kitchen with all its stainless steel appliances. The only thing I didn't like was the "yard". It was a bunch of overgrown weeds, some as tall as my waist. Oso had a hard time finding a place to pee. We set out stuff down and decided to take a trip into town to eat. We stopped at a little Italian restaurant and had our dinner. After we got back home we watched a movie. Brandon and I were feeling a little romantic so our movie didn't last long. Unfortunately in the middle of our love scene the dog pooped in the house!! Talk about a mood killer. We decided to call it a night.



The next morning we woke up early and headed to a place called Silver Lake Park. They have trails around the lake and boat rentals. We decided to rent a paddle boat and take Oso out on the water. At first he was afraid but after a while he started to enjoy it. He kept trying to drink the water and we thought he wanted to go for a dip. Brandon stopped the boat and put Oso in the water. He only lasted about 15 seconds, it didn't seem like poor Oso liked it at all. We paddles back to the dock and gave the pup some time to dry off before heading back to the cabin for lunch. After lunch we took a drive up and down the scenic byway. We went out for dinner at a pizzeria and that night we played Scrabble. I kicked Brandon's butt!



This morning we got up at 4 am to get ready to leave. We wanted to get back home in time for Brandon to relax a bit before leaving at noon. We left the cabin at 5 and dropped the keys in the drop box at the rental office. Later down the road Brandon realized he left his sunglasses and the dog's leash on the table in the cabin. Crap. Then I hit a bird with my car!! I was so freaked out but I didn't stop because I knew the bird was dead. Less than 1/2 a mile later a deer ran out in front of me! What is this, Nature Suicide Day? I'm sure Oso wished he had a seatbelt. We finally get on the interstate where it was 70 mph. I don't speed much but I was going 74 this morning. Unfortunately we came through an area where it turned to 60 and I didn't realize it. Brandon was sleeping so he didn't notice. As luck would have it, I got pulled over for speeding. I didn't apologize to the highway patrolman, I just told him the truth. He wrote me up for going 65 in a 60, a $93 fine. Holy cow!! Me and Brandon decide it's time for breakfast. We pull through a McDonald's drive-thru and Brandon remembers something....he forgot to pack the dog's crate too!! A huge metal crate sitting in the middle of the dining room and he forgot to pack it up. At this point it was already 6:30. The office did not open until 9 so even if we wanted to turn around there was no way we could wait for the office to open so we could get the keys and retrieve our stuff. Needless to say, I was irritated. Thank God the rest of the drive home was uneventful. We got home in time to do some chores, let Brandon pack and take Oso to the groomers. I said my goodbyes to my husband and dropped him off a few hours ago. I think it will take a while for my lonliness to sink it. For now it's just quiet in my house. I miss him already and I'll be glad when this horrible day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment