Friday, April 23, 2010

Weight Loss Update Week One: Reality Check

Anyone who watches The Biggest Loser can tell you that the first week of weight loss you lose a ton of weight and then the second week you get nothing. Sometimes you even gain weight. Well not for me. This week I came to a very quick realization: I'm hella fat. And because I'm fat I can't just go cutting out 1,000 calories a day (without feeling like I'm dying) or trying to do the same exercise routine I did 6 months ago (again, without feeling like I'm dying). This week was rough for me but I think it's starting to get a little better.

Today's weigh-in: 195.8 pounds. That's right, I gained .2 pounds.

We never made it to the Mariners game but we hope to go again even though we wasted $120 on tickets for a game we never went to. But we did go out to eat that Saturday and Sunday. Our friends treated us to lunch as a good-bye gift. By Sunday I was up THREE POUNDS. I knew this week was shot but I still chugged along, hoping I could lose the three pounds and at least break even. I exercised three times and it was a rough start. The first two times I could barely last 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer and I felt like my heart would explode out of my chest. I only stayed about 30 minutes at the gym. By the third trip I was doing much better. I reduced my resistance on the machine and was able to do 30 minutes. This week I plan to go to the gym 5 times now that I'm getting back into the swing of things.

The whole low carb/low dairy thing has been hard for me, especially at snack time. I usually eat 400-calorie meals with two 100-calorie snacks. Most of my snacks either contain carbs or dairy (rice cakes, granola bars, string cheese, yogurt, etc). I did find the low-carb tortillas (thanks Carrie!) which I've replaced for bread but I still need to find some low-carb granola bars or something. My snacks now consist of mostly fruit, baby carrots, celery and peanut butter, and rice crackers with hummus. I'm a pretty picky eater so dieting is hard for me. I also have extremely weird eating habits (my food can't touch each other, it's really bad and is a whole other blog post that I'll eventually write about).

Dinner is getting to be hard too. I used to eat fat free refried beans or soups but those both contain a ton of carbs so I've been avoiding them. Now I'm reduced to eating meat and veggies. Breakfast is easy, I usually eat eggs, whey protein shakes, fruit, etc. Lunch is my new tortilla wrap with fruit (I eat alot of fruit).

I think I might switch my dieting technique to closely match the Atkins diet. That way I have a guideline of what I can and can't eat. So hopefully next week I will have made some progress. I'm still feeling optimistic but I just need to be more consistent with my diet and exercise routine. Once I lose my first 10 pounds I am getting a new pair of running shoes so I need to start seeing results!!

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there! Don't weigh yourself too often as you will drive yourself crazy! Good job at going to the gym even if it was frustrating at first. I am cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check your size too, in inches, sometimes this comes down before the pounds do. Keep up the good fight- it IS harder to lose weight with PCOS.

    I am LOVING the Jillian Michaels book, which had references to PCOS in it, and recipes. Make sure you get plenty of protein. Being pickier makes it tougher though, I know.

    http://www.amazon.com/Master-Your-Metabolism-Naturally-Balancing/dp/0307450732/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272041002&sr=8-5

    Hope those pounds come off soon- try not to do too much at once or you'll get disheartened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating healthy is so hard to do! Share any tips you find along the way with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are doing very well already! Keep up the good work and it will definitely pay off. love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great breakfast:
    Add all items to a blender.
    1/4 cup of O.J
    1 Peeled Banana
    1/2 cup organic nonfat plain yogurt
    1 TBL Spoon of real peanut butter
    2 pours of Whey protein powder (use the little cup inside the box of powder)
    frozen Berry Mix or medley of frozen berries.
    Blend, drink up and your full in the AM with the right start to your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found the wraps! I love those things... especially when I'm craving me some bread.

    My newest favorite breakfast:

    One wrap, a thick slice of ham, cut up boiled egg, sprinkle with cheese and microwave for 30 seconds! Thanks to the wrap, it still has a negative carb count plus tons of fiber and protein. If I eat that, I usually make it *past* lunch time before I start getting hungry and realize what time it is. Sometimes if I'm extra hungry at breakfast, I'll have one of Kroger's CARBmaster yogurts, too.

    I definitely think you should skip counting your calories and just focus on your carbs. Because you have PCOS, that truly might be all you need to start losing weight. (Well, that and exercise, of course.) Counting carbs automatically cuts down your calories anyway.

    I just noticed that Gina's smoothie recipe might not be that good for you... orange juice, bananas, and most yogurts are all very high in carbs.

    I love Biggest Loser, but please keep in mind that they have personal trainers, are working out 8 hours a day and are on a strict diet as well. I read once that your goal should only be to lose 1-2 pounds A WEEK in order for it to be healthy.

    Keep it up! You'll start seeing the weight come off soon!

    ReplyDelete