Monday, August 23, 2010

Random Thoughts and Musings

I feel like such a freaking loser. Aside from one neighbor who we occasionally hang out with (but not often because her husband is an officer and Brandon isn't supposed to fraternize with him), I haven't made any friends since moving to Connecticut. I remember when I moved from North Carolina to Washington the first friends I made were the wives of Brandon's co-workers. Then when I got a job I made some more friends, though most were older than me and we didn't have too much in common. But that was okay because we would still go out to lunch together and do other things outside of work, it's just that we never went whitewater rafting together or anything crazy like that. Now that we've moved here I haven't met anybody. Brandon hasn't made any friends at work so I haven't gotten to meet any Navy wives in the area. I asked him to find out who my new ombudsman is so I can at least start going to the spouse get-togethers (that's how desperate I am) but he said that I don't have an ombudsman for shore duty billets. WTF?! How do I meet people then? I haven't gotten a job and it's all getting very depressing for me. I hate not working and not having anyone to talk to. I tried keeping in touch with my old friends in Washington but with the exception of a few people, everyone I was friends with seemed to forget I ever existed. I post comments on their Facebook status and they don't respond. I don't get text messages or phone calls from them, it's like I've fallen off the face of the earth. What gives? It's sad that the thing I'm looking forward to the most about this upcoming IVF is getting to interact with the other ladies cycling with me. I don't even care about trying to get pregnant anymore, I just want someone to hang out with! Maybe we'll even go out to lunch or something. Now you see why I feel like a loser?

I finally started my period Saturday which means I start birth control pills today. I just hope I'll be on them long enough. I think Nurse D said we're supposed to use them for at least two weeks before starting the meds. The problem is that I DON'T HAVE MY CALENDAR OR PROTOCOL so I don't know when I'll be stopping the bcp's and starting Lupron. I'm supposed to start my meds around the 9th or 10th. My baseline ultrasound is scheduled for Monday the 30th. Other than that, I'm just taking it one day at a time, hoping someone will let me know what the hell is going on.

Brandon used to read my blog religiously. Every time I would check my mail and read my comments, he would know there was a new blog post and go read it right away. The problem was that he would always say stuff to me about it like "Those weren't my exact words!" and "You never told me you felt like that!". It got tiring so I banned him from reading my blog. Well last night he confessed that his feelings were hurt that he couldn't read my blog anymore. I told him that it's okay to read what I write but what I write isn't up for discussion. It's meant to be a journal entry, not a conversation starter. So I have a question for you ladies: does your husband read your blog and talk to you about it? Do you feel like you have to censor yourself, knowing that your family/husband will eventually read what you write? I guess I just feel better knowing I can write what I want and only my blog buddies will comment. Honestly, if I started getting phone calls from my mom or grandmother about my blog posts, I would probably make my blog private. But that's just me.

I've decided that I'm going to go back to school. I went to see a school advisor (my neighbor, haha) at the local community college. She evaluated my old transcripts and it looks like I'm 10-12 classes away from an Associates Degree in Finance & Banking. I chose that degree over Business Admin because I think I would be happier in a finance job than a business job, though I'd have less classes to take if I chose the BA degree. I might even be able to get degrees in both fields if I sign up for a few more classes. I'm still debating. It looks like the total cost will be about $5,000 with books, which is almost all the money we had set aside for domestic adoption (if we ever decided to adopt after this IVF). But I'm hoping this degree will lead to a good job and then we'll be able to afford adoption again, later down the road. But I'm really looking forward to school because that might give me the chance to meet new people and (hopefully!) make new friends. I plan to graduate by the end of next year but a pregnancy could delay that considerably.

Other than that, not much is new in my life. It's pretty damn boring out here so if anyone is passing through Connecticut, you can always hit me up for a lunch date! I'd love to meet my bloggie friends!

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hate the no friend thing. When we lived on post at our last duty station OccDoc was the only married officer on the entire post. Which meant all the other wives treated me like some leper. Nice, thanks for that, Army. OccDoc reads my blog when he can (he hasn't been able to since being deployed). No one else in real life knows I have a blog. I don't censor my thoughts for him. It's been a great springboard for discussion. We have a lot of those "I don't know you felt that way" conversations. I've always been better with the written word when it comes to emotion. Good luck with school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so frustrating to feel isolated. I'm sorry! Do you have any interest in volunteering anywhere? I did that over summer break when I relocated and although I didn't feel like I made friends to hang out with, it was nice to get out of the house and do something that I enjoyed. Just a thought.

    What great news about going back to school. Would you have to wait until the spring to start?

    And...I hope you know your calendar/protocol soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sucks that it can take a long time to meet new people. It seems like you are very outgoing so you shouldn’t have a problem.

    My hubby reads my blog every once and a while. He does comment to me - he thinks I make him sound a little bad sometimes. Not my intention...He knows it's a place for me to bitch and get it out there so he doesn't really care. If we are having a conversation IRL he does sometimes ask me to not blog about what he says. I respect that. He also told me once that my blog was a little boring - wtf? We are always here to chat with you when you are bored - email me anytime.

    Good luck with School.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also hate the no friend thing! I had a few friends when we moved to South Carolina and a few friends when we moved to Georgia. When we moved to here in Washington I wanted a place of our own, so we skipped base housing and got our own manufactured home on park land. So there's neighbors surrounding us, but no friends. No one here that fits with me, most keep to themselves and have their own things going. It sucks. Actually, I have one friend couple here.. they have 5 year old twin girls (not from medical intervention) and are pregnant and 24 weeks along, so we don't interact any more. I hope you find some more friend's soon! I know how it can be, my friends are my internet buds lately.

    As for the blog thing.. my husband doesn't read it. Not sure if I'd feel good if he did or not. In a way it'd be nice so then he gets to understand how I process everything going on and how I'm feeling about the IF troubles we have. As for family - only one person knows about my blog, my SIL. And I kind of regret it now because there was something she said that I wish I could post it on my blog, so yes now I have to censor comments from people like her due to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling well! I was having the same issues just a few weeks ago. But now, all of a sudden, you meet a couple of different girls, and then they introduce you to their friends, and so on and so forth!
    Are you sure about the ombudsmen thing there? Becuase we're on shore, but there are 2 here.

    Use Facebook or Myspace (even though it's dead, you can still try and if you find someone, look them up on FB!) to network. That's what I did. Craigslist too.

    What part of CT are you in? We can't be too far apart. We're in upstate New York! Email me!
    tiff_nichole03@hotmail.com

    Oh and Kyle doesn't read my blog. Just doesn't feel the need to, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Christa! I feel your pain! We've been in Louisiana for a year now, and I only have one "friend" outside of work and to be perfectly honest, I am not that crazy about her. It's so bad that I hang out with my 76-year-old neighbor and his wife sometimes just for company. I hate it! My co-workers are wonderful but we don't associate outside of work. It's really hard to keep my sanity sometimes. At our last base, I had dozens of friends and my life was so rich. I really miss that. I hope you find a couple (or a couple dozen) good friends soon.
    Oh and my hubby doesn't read my blog, though he knows about it. And I'm always giving him updates on the events in my blog friends' lives. Afterall, they're all I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my immediate reaction was to refer you to the Groton Navy wives that I know about, but then I rememberd that my contact would be the same person I ended my relationship with earlier this summer after a 25-year friendship. I can't exactly call her up and say, "hey - e-mail Christa - she needs friends!" when our friendship ended on a sour note.

    You are welcome to contact her via her blog though: http://navytwife.blogspot.com and just tell her you found it by chance and are new to the area. I know she and her friends have a ton of fun being goofy and get together a lot to go out dancing, play Bunco and do anything Twilight-related they can find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You aren't a loser. New places are incredibly difficult, and it takes time. As for my blog...I originally had it open to anyone, and am reconsidering that decision. People I know get all pissy when I vent, so...time to change it up. I get that urge. Good luck with school!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have too much to say about the friends/socializing situation, but I can tell you my experience with my husband and my blog... We both blog (although I'm a lot more prolific) and we actually do use the blogs as conversation starters sometimes. It's a bit of a back-door way to communicate things that we're feeling but that can be hard to talk about or explain. But I do find myself censoring a bit from time to time, usually just trying to see things a bit from another angle and present them more fairly - and that's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete