Thursday, December 17, 2009

Feeling overwhelmed

Tuesday night I returned from my trip to NC. It was such an exhausting trip for me, mostly because I had just flew home from Cancun a week before and I was also sick. But it was a productive trip nonetheless. First I met with Dr. Parker (after getting lost on Fort Bragg, damn my GPS!). He put me back on Metformin XR, even though my doctors here said it wasn't necessary because I'm not insulin-resistant. Still, I feel better being on it because I read that it helps to prevent miscarriages. After meeting with the doctor we all had our IVF class. There were about 8 couples there. We learned about the entire IVF process and what to expect, discussed our schedules and learned how to mix the medications. I left there feeling very overwhelmed. I knew that there would be injectible medications along with progesterone suppositories, but I never considered having to take antibiotics, baby aspirin and a slew of other medications! I didn't know I would need VALIUM for the embryo transfer, I thought it would be quick and painless like an IUI. There are just so many ways to screw up, so many do's and don'ts of the IVF process, I'm sure I'm going to make a mistake somewhere. I'm more nervous now than ever before. I keep reminding myself that many women have done this and so can I but I still feel overwhelmed by it all. I guess I will have to take it one day at a time.
So here is my schedule: I stop birth control pills on January 12th (still waiting for my period though, I haven't even started them), I take Lupron twice a day on the 15th, then the next day I start Lupron, Gonal-F and Menopur twice a day. My first u/s appointment will be the 21st, although I will probably fly out to NC on the 19th. Taking my medications home wasn't a big deal, all I had was the Gonal-F and the Menopur, but taking the Lupron to NC will be tricky. I plan on bringing a lunchbox with ice packs and hope the flight attendants will let me store the package in their fridge on the plane.
So for the next few weeks I'm going to try and relax as much as possible, take some vitamin supplements and eat healthy and do alot of praying!! Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. I know it all seems overwhelming now, but don't worry, you'll quickly become a prop once you start with the injections. If you ever have any questions about the process, I'm an experienced IVFer (unfortunately). Feel free to email me: EileenBZHost@gmail.com. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the embryo transfer IS quick and painless, just the discomfort of the speculum. they give you a very small dose of valium to relax your muscles so your uterus doesn't think there is a foreign object in it and contract and try to push it out.

    i know it can be overwhelming, but take it one step at a time. for me, i found that each step wasn't as bad as i had thought it would be.

    best of luck!

    ReplyDelete