Friday, August 2, 2013

The Time I Had a Tarot Reading

I want to preface this story by saying that while I am religious and do believe in God, I also believe in the supernatural and tarot reading.  Some may think it's fake or hokey and that's fine.  But this is my story of my own tarot reading and I would prefer that if you don't believe in it, please at least keep your comments civil.

I want to share something with you all that happened just a few months before we were matched with C's birthmom.  It was September 22nd (thank you Facebook for recording my posts for all eternity) and I had spent the day at a spa.  I decided to get a tarot reading done while I was there because I've always been interested in this mystical way of reading fortunes.  I had two tarot readings done prior to this, years apart from each other.  One was moderately accurate, the other was bogus.

If you're a long-time reader you'll remember that Brandon and I had given up on adoption right around this time.  I had lost my job over the summer, American Adoptions wanted us to renew our homestudy (for another $800) and we hadn't heard even a whisper about a match with a birthmom.  So we decided to put things on hold indefinitely with our adoption.  We kept our profile active with our local agency just because our homestudy was good in the state of CT for one more year.  I mean, why not, right?  But we just knew we weren't going to be matched so we spent every penny of our adoption savings paying off credit cards and my car loan.  We were planning a trip to England, spending money freely and enjoying our lives as a child-free couple.

So back to my tarot reading.  When I first met Paula I saw her as a calm yet inviting person with a soft-spoken voice.  She invited me to sit down, took down my name and birth date.  Some of the memories from our session escape me but I remember that we said a small prayer to whatever higher power we believe in, to help channel my aura into the cards for my reading.

Then it was time for the reading itself.  After I shuffled and cut the deck Paula first laid down three cards: one each for the past, present and future.  I don't remember what the cards were for the past and present but the future card was a "child" card.  Interesting, considering we had stopped pursuing parenthood.  Still, I brushed it off thinking that because we had been pursuing fertility treatments and adoption for so long and had just recently stopped that process that maybe my aura was still presenting as though we were going to have kids.  I explained all of this to Paula so she was aware that we were no longer pursuing adoption.

Then Paula used the Celtic cross layout for my tarot reading.  She had a printout where she wrote down each card and their position so that I could take it home with me.  I still have it.  In the Celtic cross layout I pulled yet another child card, and this time it was positioned next to a card that depicted a woman.  There are only 4 "child" cards in a deck of 78 cards.  The odds of that happening were less than 1%.  This gave me chills.  Paula interpreted the meaning of the cards and the layout to say that I would have a child through another woman, either though adoption or surrogacy or foster care. 

A lot of the other cards accurately portrayed my feelings and emotions during that period in my life.  Some depicted a heavy burden I was carrying (the decision to quit adoption), many depicted a crossroads between two opportunities and having to make a decision (live child-free or continue with adoption?).  The center of the layout, the immediate future, held the 9 of swords.  I looked this up later and it meant "Regret of choices made and anxiety of choices urgently needed to be made.  There's no way out of responsibility."  Highly accurate.

After loosely interpreting the cards Paula asked me what questions I had for her.  I asked her about two job interviews I would be having the next week and whether any of them would work out.  She asked for the names of the companies and wrote them on a piece of paper.  Then she took her charm, a pyramid-shaped gem at the end of a chain, and dangled the pendant over each name as she concentrated.  She told me the first job would not work out but that the second job might.  She also said that she only saw the second job as being short-term, about 9 months or so.

As part of this question Paula flipped over another card to lay in the center of the layout, where the immediate future was held.  The card was death.  It wasn't an interpretation that I was going to literally die but that my life as I currently knew it would end.  Was this a foretelling of the loss of our child-free days or of the job I currently held?  In the end it represented both.

The second question I asked was where we were going to be living.  I told her that my husband was in the Navy, we wanted to move back to Washington but ultimately we wanted to live overseas somewhere.  She said that she did not see us living overseas but if it was a dream of ours then we would have to work hard to make it work.  I told her that he wanted to live in Switzerland, I wanted to live in England.  She did not see us living in either country but somewhere in between.  France is technically the country in between the two but she said that she kept envisioning Belgium.  Very interesting.

The next part of her reading also gave me chills.  It was in regards to our more immediate move and where we would end up in the next couple years.  She held her pendant and pondered this situation and simply said "Utah".  It wasn't her answer or even a question, just a word.  I told her that Brandon was from Utah.  She kept pondering, staring off into space while holding her pendant and then said "North Carolina".  I am from North Carolina.  There was no way she would have known either of these facts and I don't have a Southern accent.  She said that she doesn't see us living in either place because we don't like them (very true) and that she sees us moving back to Washington.  She sees Brandon getting a government job, though she didn't specify what kind.

So did any of her predictions come true?

Prediction #1- Having a child through another woman: TRUE

Well, we all know how that turned out, don't we?

----------

Prediction #2- Job #1 wouldn't work out: TRUE

I had my reading on a Saturday and my interview was that next Monday.  On Monday morning I got a call from the company stating that they had already found someone for the position.

----------
Prediction #3- Job #2 might work out but it would be short-term: TRUE

I was offered this job and had only been there for 3 weeks when we got The Call about being matched with a birthmom.  I tried to have the best of both worlds by becoming a new mom and still work but unfortunately I had to take 3 weeks of maternity leave before C would be old enough to go to daycare and they could not accommodate that.  I was laid off while out on maternity leave, after only having been with the company for 3 1/2 months. At the time of the reading Brandon was due to go to a new duty station the next summer, so I interpreted the "short-term job" prediction to mean that I would have to quit my job to move.  While we almost went to Hawaii that didn't pan out and we ended up staying here.  My short-term job was short-term for an entirely different reason than I originally thought.

All the other predictions have yet to come true.  Brandon desperately wants to move back to Washington when he gets out of the military in 17 months but I am fearful of not being able to find a job and support us while he goes to school full-time.  Staying in Connecticut would be easier, even though I too would like to make it back to Washington.  And living overseas is so far into the future that we only dream about it at this point. 

As Paula was saying goodbye to me after my reading she mentioned that she kept seeing a yellow boat.  Neither of us knew the significance of this yellow boat and though we took a windjammer cruise the next month for our anniversary it wasn't yellow.  I wonder if I missed this sign in the past year or if my yellow boat is still out there waiting to reveal itself.

Have you ever had a tarot or psychic reading done?  Did any of your predictions come true?


No comments:

Post a Comment