Saturday, August 3, 2013

C's First Birthday and the Books We Love

Is that crickets I hear? Alas, I must be the only weirdo to have gotten a tarot reading done.

So today I thought I would switch the focus and talk about C's first birthday party. We've got 5 months to plan it but this girl isn't the least bit crafty so it will probably take me that long just to make the banner.

I've been scouring Pinterest for some ideas and liked a few girlie themes but the one that really stuck in my mind was Dr. Seuss's Oh The Places You'll Go!  Brandon loves Dr. Seuss and though I think the books are a little long for the wee ones I do love his books too and I think that the theme would be very appropriate for C's first birthday party.

I've been hitting the Goodwill every week looking for the book and finally scored one last week.  I plan to take some of the pages out to make a banner and then I might try my hand at making these for the centerpieces.  But let's face it, I'm no Martha Stewart.  My project would probably end up looking like this




At least the cake will taste good because I'm having a professional do that.

But all this planning has had me thinking about all of the books that I want to eventually introduce C to.  I've already got some classics on her bookshelf like Where the Wild Things Are and Charlotte's Web which are intermingled with various Disney-themed books as well as adoption books.  She will grow up reading Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, Beatrix Potter and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.  And perhaps one day I will show her my favorite childhood book of all time, Boy Was I MAD! which unfortunately is no longer in print because it's been replaced with this book.  My copy is old and tattered but if C likes it enough then I may buy a copy of the vintage version for her to keep. 

What books do you look forward to reading with your children?  Do they show interest in the same books that you enjoyed as a child?


2 comments:

  1. It turns out I'm obsessed with Dr Seuss! Trying my best to make baby X also obsessed. :). Some of the books are shorter for younger kids. Like Hop On Pop and The Foot Book and There's a Wocket in My Pocket.

    Cute birthday idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dr Seuss! I also loved Roald Dahl growing up. One of the first books I read to James (over a few sittings) was James and the Giant Peach! I also loved Witches, though it's a bit scary for little ones and you can't go past Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

    ReplyDelete