Monday, December 20, 2010

Third Time's the Charm?

I sincerely hope that saying rings true, in more ways than one. First, I am now delving into my third expensive fertility treatment. After two IVF attempts we are now doing FET's. I just started my Provera yesterday because AF never showed up. I also started taking my Metformin and prenatal vitamins again. I think that's all I will take this round. No vitamin B-complex, no wheatgrass, none of that junk. I gave some serious consideration to doing acupuncture again. After all, I did acupuncture during my first IVF and I did get pregnant. But it's much more expensive here and we need to save our money so I'll give it a pass.

And secondly, I hope that saying rings true for my third attempt at losing weight this year. The other two times failed miserably. I would lose 5-10 pounds and then quit. But last week I weighed more than I have ever weighed before in my life, and it was a serious wake-up call. Every other time I tried dieting I would count calories. It worked like a charm but I was restricting all the things I loved to eat, so my diet would never last long before I would binge. This time I decided to try something different. Something I swore I would never do because I thought it was a hokey money-pit.

I signed up for Weight Watchers.

Brandon wasn't too enthusiastic. He had the same mentality I always did: Weight Watchers only works because you're paying for it so you want to make sure it does work so you try harder at losing weight! But I've de-bunked that myth because last May I signed up for a gym membership at $30 per month and I've gone about 5 times. So obviously paying money to lose weight is not an incentive to lose weight.

So last Monday I started my Weight Watchers Online diet. I started out at 204.7 lbs (YIKES!) and set my weekly weigh-ins for Sunday morning. My daily points value is currently set at 32 points, which is a reasonable amount. I only went over twice this week, and only used about 10 of my 49 weekly points allowed. Yesterday I was extremely happy to see the scale at 202.3 lbs, even though I didn't even make it to the gym last week. Of course, after my weigh-in I felt extremely motivated and dragged my fat ass to the gym where I realized within 5 minutes of my work-out that I was seriously out of shape. I couldn't do half of my old routine without feeling like I was going to die. So I think I'm stuck doing walking and weigh lifting for a couple weeks, until I build up some endurance.

But still, I have to admit that WW might be the thing that gets me to lose my weight for good. I've decided to post my weekly weigh-ins and keep a ticker on my sidebar of my weight loss. My ultimate goal is 175 lbs (though my immediate goal is 200 lbs by the time I have my FET). That's a total loss of 29.7 pounds. A very difficult goal, but attainable. I hate to admit that I was 180 lbs just last November so I know I can be that skinny. And hopefully skinnier but for now I'm just reaching for 175 lbs.

If any has any Weight Watchers suggestions or advice, please let me know! I hope to start trying some of their recipes this week.

9 comments:

  1. Christa, I had a lot of success with Weight Watchers over the years. The first time I went in 2001, I weighed 203.5. I lost about 50 pounds. Over the years, when my weight has creeped up (but never back to where I was) I would go back. It really works. Before I got pregnant, I weighed about 158, which is a good number for me. I plan to go back after the baby is born to get the baby weight off. I never did it on-line, so if you get stuck or lose your motivation, try going to one of the meetings in person. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I LOVE WW. I've done it a few times and I've always enjoyed it. It's also worked very well for me. My setbacks have always started due to not going to the grocery store to stay stocked up on what I need.

    Now I'm going to give you some assvice (feel free to ignore me). I'd suggest putting your first goal weight at 10% off your current weight. It's what they suggest at the meetings and it really helps to have that initial goal to meet. After you attain that goal, move on to something you really want. Also, I'd stick to just aerobics for the first month of WW. The muscle mass you'll gain doing weights and all will counteract the slow & steady (ie healthy) weight loss when you step on the scale. It can be very discouraging. Anyway, those are just two things they taught at the meetings & that rang true with me.

    Good luck! I'm rooting for you!!

    Oh yeah, and a lot of the online recipes are AMAZING! Tim was very skeptical about eating the same as me, but he LOVED the food I made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda has some great WW tips. I loved the online tracking of points...it made it easier. I guess there is an app for that now. I scoffed at WW for a ling time, but I am a believer after losing 30#s. I know so many women who have been successful with it for life. Not just the loss but the maintenance! Go Christa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is hoping for the third time on both fronts! Of course, if the first works, you won't be trying to lose weight for a while! LOL. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started WW last week too! I go to my first weigh in tomorrow :) Good luck to both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with WW! I found it was a lot easier to live around and you can still indulge in moderation, of course :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I'm a brand new follower of your blog, and a fellow Navy wife :-)
    Good luck with WW, girl! :-)

    http://hanginloosewiththetuccis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. WW was a tremendous success for me too when I did it after my 1st son. I need to do it again because I haven't lost any weight since I delivered my surrogate twins 7 months ago! I wish you luck in both your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with weight watchers. I am a follower of your blog and also have PCOS. I am starting my first IVF cycle this month. I did weight watchers previously and found the meetings to be helpful. It helped to keep me motivated and people even had some good tips. Also, they weigh you in there and I figured if I was paying for it, I might as well stay for the meetings. With PCOS it seems so much harder to lose weight. I am not on metformin but some people say they loose weight on it. Did you? I tend to blame my chubby belly on PCOS rather than my poor habits, I guess I'm just the type that wants someone or something to blame, ask my hubby. Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete