Monday, January 30, 2012

A Medical Scare

Not for me, though, for our dog Oso. Yesterday as Brandon and I were cooking in the kitchen I hear a small yelp from the dog. I peeked into the living room to find Oso in a very unusual position on the floor. I ran over to find his body rigid and his paws curled unnaturally, almost like he had a charlie horse in his entire body. Our poor dog was having a seizure. It only lasted a minute or two but it scared the shit out of me and Brandon. I stayed home from work today so I could take him to the vet. They drew blood to run a few metabolic tests to rule out any disorders. However if everything comes back normal they told us they will not put him on epilepsy meds. They don't treat dogs that only have one or two seizures a year. I thought for sure they would give Oso some medications but I guess it's a fairly common thing for dogs. So while I hope the tests come back negative, I also know that if that happens then we'll be left wondering what caused our poor puppa to have a seizure.

3 comments:

  1. :(

    My dog, who is about 10 (rescue pup, so not sure) had two freak seizures one right after the other back in October. It was scary as all get out and she was terrified, too. Poor thing climbed into hubby's lap as we drove to the vet.

    They also said "no seizure meds unless she has more." They seemed rather nonchalante (sp?) about the whole thing. Knock on wood, she's been fine ever since. I hope Oso doesn't have more. Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog had a seizure this afternoon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes pets have seizures due to what is in their food, particularly things like soy. I found info about this on the website dogtorj dot com.

    ReplyDelete