Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting to Me

Today is exactly two months since we went active. I know that's such an infinitely small amount of time in the grand scheme of things but this wait is really starting to get to me. There have been so many new babies being born on our adoption agency's forum yet the number of waiting families hasn't lessened. Is it a glitch or is the agency just adding new families that fast? No wonder the wait times increased!

Also, I've had at least 3 girls announce their pregnancies on FB in the last month. That doesn't include the ladies who are already pregnant. It's really depressing me. So much that our vacation planning doesn't have it's usual excitement. It makes me not want to take a vacation at all and just be a bum at home. But I know that if I'm feeling like this now, I'm REALLY going to need a vacation in March if we don't have a baby by then. But I'm soooo hung up on which vacation place to choose.

Cancun is "cheap and easy" because we already picked a hotel and we're not doing any activities so there's nothing to research. We picked a nice all-inclusive so we would go for the luxury, the food and the unlimited drinks. And of course the relaxing.

Germany is another adventure, which is really who we are at heart. It's more expensive because we would be staying longer. The problem is that we would be staying at an American military resort, the Edelweiss Lodge, in Garmisch. That's both good and bad. Good because it's a ski resort that has EVERYTHING: restaurants, a pool, fitness center, wonderful views and they organize day tours of various places near Garmisch. It's bad because it's American and it's military, two things we kind of like to steer clear of when on an international vacation. How can we truly experience a country if we're staying at an American resort? But none of the other hotels in the area offer the amenities we like at the Edelweiss and they're much more expensive. If we waited till Brandon got out of the military to visit Germany then we wouldn't be able to stay at the Edelweiss and thus the vacation would cost more.

So I'm torn between the vacations but too depressed to pick one because my mind is so focused on the adoption and all these pregnancy announcements. I think in the end we will pick the cheap and easy trip just hope that it can give us a few days of distraction.

3 comments:

  1. I've stayed in Garmisch and the resort there is absolutely amazing! It's staffed by all Germans, and the town is absolutely idyllic and not Americanized at all so I think you'll have a lovely time there :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. It's really frustrating to watch people get matched, in some ways it's harder for me than pregnancy announcements. And I definitely went through a stage where I was frustrated by the number of people added, I totally get it. It's tough. I think the only way I've adjusted is just figuring it's going to take a long time and staying away from the forums for long stretches. It's hard to read about announcements and wonder why you haven't been picked. It's also hard for me to read about people who have been picked quicker than us! In any case... the wait is NO joke. You'll see many posts on my blog about it.

    At least you have a nice vacation to look forward to...What about staying at a bed and breakfast ("zimmer") in germany instead of a hotel? SO MUCH cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I hear ya! I think it's something in the water!! It's hard to stay positive when each announcement is like a kick to the gut. A vacation is the PERFECT pick me up!! Take the leap and go to Germany!!!
    Give yourself a few days to be blue. You're entitled to your feelings and no one should tell you otherwise. After your blue streak, you'll be able to get caught up in the planning of a fabulous trip and have something big to look forward to!
    Infertility and adoption often feels like it defines us. Remember who YOU are and make sure you are living a life. :)

    ReplyDelete