Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A series of very fortunate events

So today was my first IUI procedure. Brandon and I traveled together to SRM in Tacoma. He went into a private room to produce his sperm sample and we were told to come back in an hour so they could wash it. The washing process involved separating sperm from semen because the semen cannot enter the uterus. So we spent a little time shopping across the street at Target and PetSmart. Then it was time for the IUI. I was so nervous about the results of his sperm count but I was quickly put at ease. Brandon's count was 64 million post-wash with a 59% motility. That means that his total motile count (the number that really matters) was 18.9 million. I was elated!! That means our chance of success is now between 10-20%. I'm not sure if it was the acupuncture or the vitamins but something worked for him. To me, that means we can avoid the IVF route (at least for now). Doctors usually do 5-6 IUI treatments before moving on to IVF.

The IUI procedure itself was a bit painful. The nurse inserted a catheter into my uterus and injected the washed sample inside. Then the nurse said she was going to put an air bubble in the catheter to make sure all the little soldiers got out of the tube. I think the air bubble must have gone into my uterus because I had some terrible cramping afterward and had to remain on the table for about 10 minutes after the procedure. After that it was still difficult to walk. Brandon drove home and I laid the seat back and took a nap. This afternoon was spent laying around and sleeping. The pain is starting to go away but it hurts to button up my jeans. I just feel so bloated. I hope the pain goes away but I keep reminding myself that it's worth it. So now I am officially in what fertility patients refer to as the "2 week wait" (2ww). I will take a home pregnancy test in 2 weeks and hope that the results are positive. Until then I'm going to be doing alot of relaxing and I will continue with my acupuncture.

No comments:

Post a Comment