Thursday, November 17, 2011

Miserable

It's time. Time to admit that for the past month or so I've been miserable. I did all my research about inducing lactation and was well aware that taking the meds (especially birth control) would cause me to gain 10-15 pounds. I guess what I didn't realize was how shitty that extra weight would make me feel.

I feel like an utter blob. My sex drive and self esteem is non-existent, not to mention my motivation to get out and exercise. I always come up with valid reasons to put off going to the gym. There's so many things to do before a baby arrives that I'm definitely staying busy. But my weight is suffering.

And while we're at it, let's talk about heartburn. I have no clue what happened but for the past couple weeks I've been getting terrible heartburn. I can eat bread and water and still get heartburn. I know that tomato-based products are bad and I just started cutting out spicy foods and caffeine but the problem isn't going away. I'm going to try getting rid of the Metformin and prenatal vitamins and see if that helps. If not then I'll have to make a trip to the doctor.

So back to the fat issue. I think it's time I went back on Weight Watchers. I didn't lose too much weight last time, only about 7 pounds but at this point 7 pounds lost would be a godsend. I've gained about 6 pounds in the past two months and I'm at the heaviest I've ever been. I realize that about a pound of that was added to my boobs but I still have a stomach pouch I need to get rid of. I'm not a damn kangaroo. So this time I think I'm going to combine my Weight Watchers effort with with Couch to 5K running plan. I've heard a lot of people speak highly of this program so I'm curious to see if it will work for me. I've always wanted to run a 5K. It's a 9 week program which seems a bit ambitious for a fatty like me, but it's worth a shot. I plan to start Weight Watchers tomorrow but I probably won't start the C25K for another week. I want to get to the gym and warm up for a week or so before I just jump into a running program. Hopefully this time Brandon will help motivate me to keep going to the gym even when I don't want to. I think that's the reason I've failed so many other times. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Much much luck on your C25K....you'd be surprised at how much you *don't* need to warm up to it. It's super easy in the beginning. Sending you lotsa feel good vibes, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, sorry :(. I skipped the bcp, so I didn't have the weight gain until after Isaac was born and I started making milk for real. Some days it's harder to deal with being 15 lbs heavier than others. Of course, my recent stomach virus made me lose 8 lbs, only 3 of which I gained back so far, so I already feel better. I've been trying to stay low-carb, high fat (to continue making lots of milk but keep the weight gain at bay) and it's mostly working (when I stick to it). This ramp-up to Thanksgiving is already derailing my resolve, though...
    Anyway, good luck with the dieting and the C25K! I've heard good things about the running :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are on the same 'feeling fat train' right now. I was really hoping to drop 7 lbs prior to this cycle and well, instead I gained 5 in the past month from Decadron. I just feel so blah.
    At least you are doing something and I know you can!!! Here to route ya on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Weight Watchers. 10 pounds for me. I think it's great. I also have bad reflux and it is highly correlated to weight gain, as the extra weight pushes on your esophagus, pushing the acid up into your throat. It sucks. I get it worse when I bloat/ get my period and stuff. Take some omeprazole (it's over the counter) and it should help. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couch25k is a great program! I have friends who have done it and love it. I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable lately. I hope that once you start doing something for yourself like exercise you'll feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it!

    Also, I'm down 18 pounds now, with my running plan and using myfitnesspal.com. It's sort of the same concept as Weight Watchers, but it just helps you budget your calories instead of points. Even just logging everything I'm eating has helped so much.

    Anyway, I know how you feel and I hope you can get something in the works to help you feel better about life in general.

    Also, any chance I could get the link to your other blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. woohoo! I'm thinking I want to re-start the couch2 5k program again. My suggestion (from my knee surgeon) was to extend it 2x, so do week 1 twice, week 2 twice... so it turns into an 18 week program.

    ReplyDelete