Thursday, November 10, 2011

Adoption is Like a Roller Coaster Ride

Adoption is just like riding a roller coaster. The first upward climb of adoption is the homestudy and the activation. You chug slowly up, up, up the hill. Then you reach the top. You're approved and activated with your agency! But the high you feel is only momentary as you speed at breakneck speed back towards the ground. Then it's time to chug, chug, chug your way back up an even bigger hill as you wait for The Call. This time, because the hill is bigger, the high you experience after receiving The Call and finding out you've been matched is a bit longer. The elation you feel is even more exciting. But eventually you end up back at ground level. Then it's time to chug back up the last and biggest hill as you wait for your baby to be born. Sure, there's smaller hills and even loops and corkscrews mixed in along the ride. Some have a really long ride, some have a very short ride. Some people wave their hands and scream the whole time, trying to experience as much of the ride as they can. Others prefer to close their eyes and only open them when the ride is over.

As for me, I usually hate roller coaster rides but for this one I think I'll throw my hands in the air and smile as they take my picture.

3 comments:

  1. Great attitude to have! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is! I feel like my blog makes me sound crazy sometimes, but there are a lot of highs and lows, but at least this ride we know we'll get to finish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your adoption profile!! Cannot wait to hear about this journey more! :-)

    ReplyDelete